Skip to main content

Stepping Out

I am a guest blogger at another site today: Rants & Ramblings, a blog for writers and agents to discuss prickly things like how to land an agent, how to work with a publisher, how not to be discouraged as a writer...

A sister-in-law made this connection for me as the agent, Rachelle Gardner, who manages the blog, is a friend of hers. I mentioned this guest-blogging business to a friend of mine who is an editor, and she happens to be friends with this agent as well and provided a six-degrees-of-separation kind of list for me—it turns out Rachelle is connected to someone who is connected to someone who is connected to someone who wrote a book for which I designed the cover.

Small publishing world, huh? I know what you're thinking. Am I going to send a query for my own novel to this agent? You'd think I'd jump on the chance, wouldn't you? I wanted to get my guest post up first, though, before attacking this poor woman with my other stuff. We'll see.

Comments

dive said…
Cool coincidence, Robyn.
I'll pop across and check out your guest blog.
It's always good to be in touch with other writers.

Enjoyed your piece very much, as always, Robyn.
Rachelle said…
Well, now I'm dying to know who the people are in the links of the six-degrees chain!

GREAT post today on my blog...
MmeBenaut said…
Woohoo Robyn! I'm on my way over to take a peek.
How wonderful it would be to have your book published.
MmeBenaut said…
Well I read it and I loved it - I love the layering theme too. Oh so true - we are all such complex beings - and Robyn, you really can write, and in such an entertaining and compelling style.
I read the piece you wrote and it a very intersting idea and question in the end. I think some day we will find you on NPR, Robyn. I'm glad it was mentioned that you are also a musician.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...