Skip to main content

The Last Piece of the Puzzle

More than three months ago, we got the ball rolling on a remodeling project—we decided to recreate our living room. Here is what it looked like last Christmas (the spot on the wall is either a poltergeist or dust on the lense. Which do you prefer?):

We basically altered every surface. We replaced the carpet with hardwood floors; painted the walls a different color; switched out the window shades for wood shutters; replaced the furniture with cozier stuff that has people facing each other instead of sitting all in a line on a long couch; installed surround-sound speakers; replaced the wood mantel with a stacked stone wall; and hung a TV where a print used to be.

The whole thing took nearly three months to complete, and although this may go without saying, we did none of the work ourselves. If we had, we might still be living in rubble. Here is an example of some of that rubble;

and here is what the room looked like for a couple of weeks while the work was being done. I was disturbed and have never seen so much dust in one place in all my life:

We've been in the room for a month now, but just yesterday, the shutter guy installed the last little shutter, and now the project is complete. Here it is, the finished room—we love it:

Comments

savannah said…
it's GORGEOUS, sugar! the stacked stone fireplace is perfect for where you are and compliments the window design. you KNOW how much i love shutters as they are in every room here! well done you! xoxoxo
dive said…
Boy howdy, Robyn, that is SUCH an improvement! I agree with every word Savannah says. Fabulous!
Vic said…
That has become a gorgeous room, Scout! Congratulations and best wishes for many warm cosy times there ahead.
Robyn Martins said…
Savannah and Dive, I was unsure if the stacked stone would fit the style of the house, but it works. And the shutters do such nice things with light.

Hi Vic. Long time no see.
Shan said…
Oh I love it!!! That just looks completely different and totally fabulous! You must be enjoying it immensely! Be so glad, as I know you are, that you had it done by professionals. That fireplace does not look easy! ;)
Eustacia said…
My strawberry pajamas are in the last picture. hehe

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.