Skip to main content

Last Day of the Mother Visit

My mother will leave for her home in Georgia this morning, so yesterday to honor the last day of her visit with us, we hosted a lunch with two of my friends, Joan and Jane—you know, a women's sort of lunch by the pool. My mother and I started early in the morning to make the peach trifle with lemon mousse; we had to make the lemon curd and let it chill for an hour, and then we had to roast the peaches and whip the cream and assemble the whole thing so it could chill for two hours at least.

We also made chilled cucumber-honeydew-mint soup:

flatbreads with sea salt and thyme:

and a chickpea salad with balsamic and honey vinaigrette:

It was all served with large gulf shrimp (pre-BP) drizzled with olive oil. We made a pitcher of peach iced tea and a pitcher of white sangria, and we carried the whole feast outside to the patio. We sat under the big umbrella and ate and talked and talked and ate, and it was all lovely.

We aren't the delicate type—no doilies, dainty dresses or strings of pearls. Well, to be honest, my mother can pull off that look, but the rest of us prefer our flat shoes and pragmatic clothes. We put our feet on the furniture, laugh really loud and drink a little too much. We are who we are, my friends and I have decided, and I think we're each comfortable in our own skin. Still, lunch on the patio with the women was just lovely, and the afternoon was a nice way to end a nice mother visit.

Comments

MmeBenaut said…
Thanks so much for the photos Robyn. That salad looks fantastic.
dive said…
What a lovely get-together that must have been, Robyn.
Why did you buy pre-BP gulf shrimp? Post-BP shrimp come ready-drizzled with oil.

I love the new look, though my connection is slow so when it first launched your background was bright yellow (yikes)!
savannah said…
what a lovely luncheon all y'all had, sugar! i love y'alls food posts. ;~D xoxoxoxo

(i love the new look, btw!)
Madame DeFarge said…
Sounds a lovely meal and a lovely get together.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.