Skip to main content

Phew, What A Weekend

I am now in recovery after a whirlwind of busy days. The orchestra performed one rip-roaring concert this past Saturday to a sell-out crowd. It was a fund-raiser concert in addition to our regular program, a country-meets-symphony event, and it was a hit.

I wish I could have just focused on that one event and given it all of my attention, but the following day was weighing on me and was a distraction. My friend, Jane, and I catered a dinner party for eight Sunday evening, also a fund-raiser event for the orchestra. We had entered this dinner as an item in a silent auction, and the winners chose Sunday for their party. They used it as a thank-you gift for two men who founded and help operate our homeless shelter and foodbank. Their wives were there as well, along with Conductor Eric and the pastor of the hosts' church.

Jane and I had planned and planned and planned, tested recipes and tested recipes and tested recipes, and organized like pros even though this was our first time catering a meal. We made what we could ahead of time, and timed out the rest to the minute. One of the guests arrived about 30 minutes late, so that bumped back our schedule, but it all worked out well.

The guest list included an interesting mix of people, so there was plenty of conversation change-up—everything from the science of the oil spill in the Gulf to the science of introducing non-indigenous plants to a field (there was a scientist in the room) to the nature of orchestra conducting to theology to wine making. The retired church organist (the hostess) performed a delightful organ solo, and she showed off the watercolors she had created in a painting class.

The meat was served with a red-wine reduction that required only one cup of wine, so Jane and I sipped at the rest of the bottle and giggled and snickered in the kitchen as we eavesdropped on the dining room conversation. We generally had a great time even though it was a lot of hard work with the prepping and the cooking and the cleaning. Phew.

When I host a dinner party at my house, I sit at the table with my guests, and my husband helps clear the table after each course. I share the experience of the meal with everyone else, so I know exactly how each dish tastes, and I can see if anyone needs anything. But with this catering business, I didn't share the experience. I didn't make my own plate of food, so even though I tasted the individual elements before serving them, I'm not sure of how it all worked together. And we didn't want to hover in the dining room, so I was never aware if someone needed something except when one of us popped in to check now and then.

The fact that everyone was very complimentary, and there were hardly any leftovers, tells us the meal was a success. It was just a little unsettling to have to observe from a distance. We worked for about five hours straight that evening, and I wondered if I could do that for a living. Could I be a caterer for private parties? Well, we didn't sit down for even one moment, and I decided that if I were to do this sort of thing more often, I would demand a kitchen chair, or at least a stool in the corner. I'm too old, and my circulation is too poor, for being kitchen help without a little rest.

All in all, though, we put on one heck of a meal. And we decided with the host to try to do it again next year. Now, I'll have to start obsessing about another knock-out menu.

Comments

dive said…
Wow, how deliciously enticing, Robyn. Next time you're over this side of the pond, please come and cook for me. I'll do all the kitchen skivvying for you and insist you join us at the table. I promise I won't play the organ. Those people were so lucky to have such a chef.
pf said…
How about helping out with the food for a certain bridal shower on July 24th? :) Brigitta may be contacting you!!
Glad it went so well, Robyn. I KNEW it would!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...