Skip to main content

Non-Stop Today From Start to Finish

Start the clocks, blogville, because I'm about to step off with the starter gun and head toward the finish line. References to a race are actually a joke where I'm concerned because I do not run. I did run one race once when I was in school but only because my teacher made me for track and field day. I lost.

This morning, I'll start by rushing to the store to buy a giant, plastic storage container that will come in handy a little later. Then I'll head to the usual Thursday-morning English class where we'll work on some knitting and take a spelling test and continue in the American history book, chapter 3. That ends at 11:30, at which time I'll hop in my car and drive an hour and a half to Eustacia's college. She takes her last final exam this morning, and then she has to pack up her dorm room and clear out.

We'll haul all of her stuff either to the curb or to my car, which we'll cram as full as possible, including the new plastic tub, and then we'll drive back home. I'm guessing she won't be as packed as I'd prefer, so this moving business could take some time. Once we're home, unload the car and find something for dinner, I'm scheduled to be at band rehearsal from 6:30 to 9:00, but I'm not sure I'll make it. Maybe for an hour or so.

I'll have to feed the cats somewhere in there and make sure a couple of little graphics jobs have made it to the right people and don't need any corrections, and I'll want coffee. And possibly a nap, not to mention I'll also have to practice my horn at some point because we have a big, hairy concert this weekend, and if I were to show up unprepared...well, let's just say I can't show up unprepared.

So, ready, set, go.

Comments

dive said…
Sounds like you're getting more than enough exercise to excuse you running, Robyn.
I love the line, 'I'm guessing she won't be as packed as I'd prefer …'.
Hee hee. Eustacia is a student. Of COURSE she won't be packed and ready!
It will be great to have her back home for a while though.
Enjoy (if you're not too pooped after all that rushing around).
Eustacia said…
Mom, you must have more faith in your child. Of COURSE I will be packed. Although, there is only so much I can do without some plastic tubs...
Madame DeFarge said…
I can't wait to hear the result of the race to the line.
MmeBenaut said…
Phew! I'm exhausted just reading about it. Rest up a little, Robyn.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.