Skip to main content

Long Lost Coffee Maker


Look at this magnificent coffee maker. Isn't it a beaut? It's a DeLonghi Gran Dama. It makes dark, rich coffee by the cup, freshly ground and brewed on command. It also makes espresso, cappuccino and lattes with the same ease.

We bought the thing at Williams-Sonoma last April and have loved every minute of it. At first, I had trouble justifying the expense because it seemed almost immoral to pay so much for a coffee maker, but I got over that. Good coffee is important. But then in early February, it stopped working, and through a series of phone calls to customer service, I was instructed to ship it to a certain repair shop in New York. They specialize in fixing this kind of coffee maker, apparently.

So, I called the shop in New York, and they gave me specific instructions as to how to ship the thing so it will arrive in one piece. They said to take it to a UPS store and have them pack it up carefully. I did just that and shipped it off. We had lost the receipt from Williams-Sonoma, but the store headquarters was good about digging it up and emailing a pdf. We sent the pdf to DeLonghi, who then said they'd contact the repair shop and let them know the machine was under warranty.

Since then, I have called the shop so many times, I practically feel like I'm calling home when I punch in the numbers, and I expect my mother to answer at the other end. But it never is my mother on the end. Instead, it's always a butt-scratching, stereotypical New York repairmen from a Neil Simon play who passes the phone around yelling things like, "Hey Bob, talk to the lady!" followed by, "I AM talkin' to the lady!" They call me dear and sweetie, and they assure me they'll fix the machine.

Two weeks ago, they said I'd have it within a week, but just yesterday, I called, and they made me tell my story from scratch. "Did you take it to a UPS Store, dear?" "Did we call and give you an amount for repairs ($629!), dear?" They had me email the receipt again, and then I had to have DeLonghi contact them one more time to give them warranty approval. But Bob, or whoever, said the frame was cracked, and he thinks that may not be covered by the warranty. He's suggesting UPS may not have packed it as carefully as they should.

So, I said to Bob, or whoever, "I don't really care. I just want the damn thing back." I wanted to say, "And if you call me 'dear' just one more time, and if you pass my paperwork to some other slob in the shop just one more time, and if you lie to me about the state of my coffee maker JUST ONE MORE TIME, YOU MUMBLING NEANDERTHAL......" But I need them to fix my treasured coffee maker and return it to me in one piece. I've decided to wait until it arrives on my doorstep and makes me a cup of delightful brew before I tell them what I really think about them and their repair shop. And I won't mind telling everyone in blogville and on Facebook after that.

Phew. I feel just a little better now.

Comments

savannah said…
btw, dear (sorry, i had to go for the cheap laugh), what has williams-sonoma said about all this? seriously, while you're waiting, try using a french press for your daily brew. xoxoxo
Robyn Martins said…
Savannah, sweetheart! Williams-Sonoma is out of it at this point, I think. They've done their job, and it's between us, the DeLonghi people and the repair shop. I have a French press, but I haven't quite got the hang of it yet.
kyle@sift said…
YOU SPENT $2500 on a COFFEE MAKER? I'm sorry you are going through this, Robyn. Why don't you just buy a new one? You can use the old one as a doorstop.
dive said…
I must confess to going "Ooooooh" at your photo, Robyn. My Gaggia looks a little tame in comparison.
No way is it immoral to pay for great coffee (if you're as addicted to the stuff as I am). I do hope they sort it all out soon.
Madame DeFarge said…
Very impressed. Sort of. Even although I hate coffee, have to say that I'm impressed by the coffee maker.
PF said…
And...AFTER you get your coffeemaker back (IF you do), I would shout it from the mountaintops how inept these morons are!!!!
Anonymous said…
Sorry but I think someone else is enjoying your expesive coffee maker by now. Say goodbaye to it.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...