Skip to main content

Another Christmas Song


The little live tree in the foyer that makes up for the bigger fake tree that will eventually be in the family room.

I did a stupid thing yesterday. I was sitting in my office chair when Big Mike the Cat walked in. He hates being held, but you can pick him up and set him in your lap, and he'll tolerate you for about 30 seconds. So, I bent forward and picked him up, and that's when my back went out. Sciatica or something like that. I dropped the cat half-way through the lifting and fell to the floor, saying "no, no, no, no" over and over again. I did the stretching exercises I learned from a chiropractor, but that didn't help. I was sunk. Or stuck, more like it.

I managed to hobble my way up the stairs to the kitchen and then into the carpeted family room. I tried the stretching again, but still nothing. The pain radiated through my legs, and it was something else, let me tell you. I winced and I moaned and I yelled to no one but myself, "not now!!" It's Christmas, for Pete's sake. There were Christmas cards to make (I literally make them from scratch), there was a tree to decorate, there was vacuuming to do, there was a newspaper column to write. And I have a concert this weekend.

I finally gave in and found a less-than-excruciating position to sit/lie in, and I watched "We're No Angels" with Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov and Aldo Ray. I made a BLT sandwich while leaning to the right because my spine was incensed with having to support me upright. I managed to write the column.

Husband picked up some takeout for dinner, and I ate it with three glasses of wine. That did the trick—the perfect muscle relaxer. I never did get the Christmas stuff done, but in honor of the season, here is yet another recording I presented to blogworld last year around this time of year (from the Charlie Brown Christmas/Vince Guaraldi book):

Comments

PF said…
OH NO!! Try Aleve (or generic Naproxen Sodium) for pain relief. I know how hard it is to resist picking up a cat :)
Anonymous said…
The excellent message gallantly)))
dive said…
Ow! Ow! Ow!
Ooooh, poor you, Robyn!
And what dreadful timing.
This is a wonderful opportunity for husband and the girls to rally round and wait on you hand and foot all through Christmas, doing all the shopping, cooking and chores while you sit and recuperate.

Did I hear a "Ha!" coming from the direction of Ohio?

Get well soon, Robyn, and thanks for the Vince Guaraldi. Lovely as usual. As is your baby tree. You sure know how to do Christmas.
Madame DeFarge said…
Not a good thing to do at any time, you have my sympathies. I was laid up all holidays last Christmas and New year because of sciatica and felt outstandingly miserable. Hope you recover soon.
MmeBenaut said…
I am so familiar with that feeling and I sympathise with you my poor girl. You must lie flat on your back and raise your legs on a pillow.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.