Skip to main content

How to Waste Your Time

So, what do you do when you can't leave the house, don't feel like reading or writing the 500-Word story of the week and can't play your horn without blowing germs through the pipes? You play FarmVille on Facebook. My farm is full of interesting animals and a diverse orchard. Just this morning, I harvested rice and soybeans and then planted wheat, squash and strawberries. I plucked down from a duck, milked the cows and collected truffles the pigs had rooted out. I haven't accumulated enough "cash" to expand my farm, so it's packed to the borders, and all those elephants the farm neighbors have been sending as gifts don't help. Keep that in mind the next time you send me a farm gift—bunnies take up much less space.

I know it's a waste of time, and I could get more out of watching Regis and Kelly, but I can't do that because The Marx brothers are on—first A Day At the Races, and later Go West followed by A Night in Casablanca.

After you fritter away time with FarmVille, you go read this. It's usually off color, so if that sort of thing bothers you, don't follow the link.

Then you go here and scroll through the captioned photos of animals and check out the news tab for captioned photos of humans who behave like animals.

And after that, you play with this. A cartographer named Andy Woodruff has figured out that Ohio has 88 counties, the same number as a piano has keys. So, he has assigned a note on the piano to each county according to census numbers. If you select Asian in the category space, you'll discover the counties with a high number of Asians have a high note assigned to them, and those with just a few Asians have a lower note assigned. The same county may have a high note for males or something mid-range for children under 5. You can play a "song" by choosing the route between two cities like Cleveland to Cincinnati, and you can play "The Entertainer" on the map of Ohio because Woodruff has programmed it in.

So, there are just a few tips for wasting time when you're stuck in the house. What do you on days like this?

Comments

kyle@sift said…
I dare say you should be ashamed of yourself...
I am dreaming of opening my own shop in a converted garage on the property. What sorts of things woulf you buy in such a shop?
Eustacia said…
I'm proud of you.

-E-
Scout said…
Kyle, you'd think I'd be ashamed of myself, and on a good day, I might be. But when people are unwell, it's good to cut them some slack.

Strawberry (why that name?) thanks. I'm proud of you, too.
Eustacia said…
I couldn't think of a name, so I turned to my right and the first thing I saw was a dry erase board shaped like a strawberry.
Alifan said…
Hi Robyn, so sorry my dear that you are unwell... just sending hugs to help.......

I am afraid I am a moaning OAP at the moment, as pulled a muscle a couple of weeks ago in my back and shoulder, and have had to spend a lot of time and money at the osteopath. yesterday I thought he had nailed it, and spent a whole evening without pain, oh glorious, then in the night it has come back, so can really feel for you....

Icannot say I have tried your remedy of the farm, but glad it amuses you.. get well soon xxxx
Shan said…
Oh my blog feeder has been down so I didn't see this one first.

I do not play Farmville or any of those games because I need absolutely no help wasting time-sick or well.

I have things like the Bravo channel and dancing shows that veg. me out quite nicely when I have those needs. Blank stares also work in a pinch. ;)
I would call it Swine Flu instead.
MmeBenaut said…
It's fun, isn't it and takes the mind off the yucky stuff like pain and such. I'm proud of your resourcefulness Robyn!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...