Skip to main content

Three Days at Sea

We’re headed back to Southampton and taking three days to do it, so we sail and we sail and we sail with no stopping. It seems there should be another word for this massive ship moving through the water other than “sail” since the ship has no actual sails. I suppose it’s the same as “rolling down the window” in a car that uses a button instead of the turning thing, and “dialing” a number long after the last rotary phone was retired.

We have been very lucky with weather on this trip and have yet to encounter rough seas—there is a little rocking now and then but nothing that has you grabbing onto the handrails to keep from spilling. Still, there is a slight sense of motion you can detect even on the calmest day, and your equilibrium adjusts just slightly. I remember this from the last cruise we took a couple of years ago and how, once on land, my brain took a while to readjust to solid ground, and I was unsteady and looking for waves.

All of this sitting around on the ship has caused my muscles to atrophy, I’m sure, but it’s also given me time to finally finish reading The Cider House Rules by John Irving. I am a slow reader, and it’s a big book, so it took long enough to read the thing for the other-worldliness of Dr. Larch and the orchards of Maine and the speech patterns of Homer Wells to all became real to me. I was sorry to turn the last page, and I’ll miss the phrase, “Good night you princes of Maine, you kings of New England.”

You know what else? I’ll also miss having a comfortable lounge to settle into where a pleasant server asks, “Can I get you anything?” and having to only wait a few minutes for a rich cup of coffee or a classic pot of tea or a delightful martini or a smooth port to be placed beside me. Sometimes the order comes with a bowl of mixed nuts, and sometimes it comes with a small plate of appetizers. And I’ll miss being called Madame—listening to a lecture about the development of the universe in the morning and seeing a live theater production in the afternoon—having dinner prepared with options every evening—being surrounded by this mini international community where, in one room, you can hear four or five different languages.

There used to be an older English woman who lived on the Queen Mary 2. She had no family at home in England and no reason to stay in one place, and she worked out an arrangement with Cunard so that it was cheaper for her to live on board than to live independently. That seems excessive to me, because as much as I have enjoyed this cruise, I would not want it to be my life.

Despite all that I will miss, I will not miss being so far away from all that is my life—my daughters, the kitties, my horn, my Small Town Newspaper gig and friends. Taking a trip and exploring the world is always a good thing, but going home has its own rewards. If only we could take the ship’s staff with us.

Comments

dive said…
Madame, just wait until you settle into your big old sofa and Tiger snuggles under your chin while you throw Mike his yarn ball.
The purpose of travel is to come home again.
Well, perhaps not, but it's kinda nice to think that way sometimes.
My it sounds fab. An ex boyfriend of mine was a director of Cunard until recently. It's a great company isn't it and was recently given the award of best Cruise Line. Just the other day!

So glad you enjoyed it. Very envious I am.
RoverHaus said…
I'm a little green here.

I hope the gift you got me was something classy like that shirt that says 'my friend went on a long cruise and all I got was this lousy T-shirt'

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...