Skip to main content

It's Starting to Feel Like Home


I’m writing this on Sunday evening as the ship is leaving Livorno, Italy and headed for Monte Carlo. We’ve got the balcony door open so we can hear the ship moving through the sea, although the view is anything but calming—we look out onto two tender boats and all of their greased-up and gunky rigging. Nice. It rained all this morning but cleared up just in time for our afternoon tour of a 15th-century Tuscan villa and winery, but it’s storming again with plenty of lightning and rain. I’ve yet to hear thunder, although there was a lot of that last night—that storm was so thorough that the top-deck stargazing was a washout.

In a little while, we’ll go have dinner at our assigned table in the Brittania Restaurant. We share it with a nice couple from D.C. who work for the government—the man is with the EPA, and the woman is with something I can’t remember. They have interesting stories to tell, and we’ve been swopping stories about our travels.

We have developed a bit of a routine: sometime before dinner, we go all gussied up to a lounge (The Commodore Club) where we listen to a piano player and have cocktails. The pianist is not always the same man but is always good. Last night, the guy was playing classic Gershwin and Kern, and I was quietly singing along in between doses of a cosmopolitan, and I was thinking that if the gentleman were to take requests, I would suggest The Way You Look Tonight—you know—Someday, when I’m awfully low, When the world is cold, I will feel a glow just thinking of you, and the way you look tonight. And the next song was that very tune, and I had to suppress a silly grin. It wasn't my show, so I was careful to sing along very quietly.

After cocktails, we have dinner, and then we head to a different lounge (The Chart Room) for some coffee or a glass of port, and we listen to a jazz trio for a while. It’s the same three musicians every evening, although last night they added a trumpet player, a very mellow trumpeter who was as smooth as silk with each number. If we haven’t fallen asleep by then because we’re old and decrepit, we go to the theater for a show that is usually so schmaltzy, you need to wash your hands and brush your teeth after a performance. Tonight, the feature act is Ireland’s Ambassador to Comedy. Really?

I am actually looking forward to his act because sometimes schmaltz and corniness can be absolutely delightful in the suitable setting. I can’t guarantee we’ll make it, though, because we really do seem to be falling apart. I have had a headache for two days that is sometimes in my sinuses as well, and my kidneys hurt, and my ankles swell like a circus fat lady’s—isn’t that all so attractive? Husband has had his own bouts with headaches and a similar kidney sensitivity, and this evening, he had the hiccups so bad, we had to leave the common room where we listening to a string quartet and go wait the upset out in our room.

Oooooo, thunder. I do appreciate weather drama. Let’s hope this turns into a hearty storm. Ciao.

Comments

dive said…
Hoorah! I know you love thunderstorms, Robyn, so even crappy weather isn't going to dampen your wonderful cruise.
The entertainment sounds deliciously relaxing.
MmeBenaut said…
I do hope that the head and kidney aches have disappeared! What a lovely post Robyn: I almost feel like I'm on board with you. I've never been on a cruise - my agaraphobia would prevent it - no way off the boat!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...