Skip to main content

Orchestra Weekend

Can you tell I'm a big fan of ICanHasCheezburger?

My orchestra conductor looks nothing like this little guy, but he did ask for more volume from the string section from time to time this past weekend. We performed Mendelssohn's Elijah with a community chorus and a handful of soloists, and even though the audience was not as full as I would have liked, they seemed to really appreciate the concert.

As always, it was a treat to perform with the orchestra even though the horn section wasn't the focus. We did what we could to make ourselves known. I've mentioned this before, but when I first started playing with the group back when I was a complete novice, I would judge my personal performance with percentages. At the end of a concert, I would evaluate my playing and say, "well, at least I played 68% of the thing correctly." Sometimes I would be able to give myself an 80% rating or even a 90%. I'm not sure how I would judge my playing this time around—I could have been more accurate when aiming for random pitches, and once or twice I got lost in counting long stretches of rests with half a dozen tempo variations in the middle of them, but I didn't fall on my face. So, you know.

During one of the rehearsals, we noticed the chorus members were all wearing name tags. One of them said that was because they didn't all know each other and just wanted to be friendly. We in the brass section noted the clear distinction between the two groups—in the orchestra, we said, we don't care who the other people are. If we want to know someone's name, we'll look it up in the program.

Next up in April is a Wagner piece and Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2. Come see.

Comments

I always think name tags are silly Robyn. If we want to know someone's name, we can ask them. What happened to old fashioned introductions? We don't need playground labels, surely.
Shan said…
That sounds about right though. I always had more of the choral personality. Chitty chatty chitty chat. In band I remember it was always much more serious. I did get in trouble one time for using my music stand to hold my mirror while putting on my mascara. Probably wouldn't do that now.

I like the Can has cheezburger stuff too. Silly kitties.
Sassy Sundry said…
Personally, I'd have worn the name tag, but written something like, "Smitten with the Conductor," or some other such thing.
dive said…
What an excellent concert, Robyn. I so wish I could go see you play. You'll have to persuade someone to video the concerts and put them on your blog. That would be cool!
Anonymous said…
Oh, I love the picture of the "conductor". hahaha!!! Name tags...it was Mel's idea I think because we see each other concert after concert and don't know everyone's names. Also, there were lots of new folks this time. Cool!
I agree with Dive, Robyn. How nice that would be to see and hear.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.