Skip to main content

BRRR

Outdoor thermometers around Small Town are reading -4˚. That's MINUS 4. And that isn't because of wind making the air feel colder than it really is. It really is that cold. Weather.com, a place where I spend time every day because I obsess about the weather, predicts it won't get much warmer throughout the day, maybe as high as 18˚.

It will be 48˚ on Saturday, though. That can't be good for people, this up and down fluctuation in temperature. When I was a kid, old timers always complained about this kind of instability, blaming it for colds and flue. I don't know about that. It has to get cold enough and stay cold long enough to kill all the bad germs out there, they would say. I don't know about that either. And I don't know if going outside in winter with wet hair can make you sick. I suspect that's not true.

The people who told me these things are same the same people who relied on their ideas—wives' tales—for all sorts of things. Babies get runny noses when they cut teeth, people told me when my kids were cutting teeth. But the pediatrician said that wasn't true, that babies might coincidentally get a cold at the same time a tooth was breaking through, but one didn't affect the other. I'm not so sure because I have a hard time believing my babies just happened to get a cold with each tiny tooth.

It wasn't just the old timers who told tales true or false. My own sisters filled my head with odd ideas. Scary ones, in fact. When we would sit outside in the summer and eat watermelon, it was fun to spit the seeds into the grass. If I accidentally swallowed one, though, my sisters would tell me that a watermelon would grow in my stomach, especially if I had somehow managed to eat dirt. If I ever ate sugar straight out of the bowl, they would tell me I would get worms. I imagined the worms eating the watermelon and thought maybe that wouldn't be so bad. Then the watermelon wouldn't grow. My sisters also told me that coffee would stunt my growth, so I was only allowed one cup a year.

I'm willing to believe that cold days mixed with warm days might wreak havoc with your immune system, but I don't think eating sugar gives you worms. What do you think? What wives' tales did you grow up with, and who lied to you to manipulate your behavior?

Comments

dive said…
Yikes, that's nasty weather, Robyn!
As for old wives tales we were told as children, I have so many of them that I'll turn it into a post rather than list them all here.
Fun!
Shan said…
Land-o-Lakes thats cold!!! PTL for electricity on days like this!! Ok, you've got me yelling here so I'm going to try to settle it down again and stop shivering.

I don't have any wives tales but I think you can "catch a chill" sometimes if you are a little on the weak side. My tiny grandma once visited Chicago back when my bro lived there and she totally got sick from being outside in the cold too much.

As for babies and teething. I love to form my own bogus medical theories so here's mine: When babies teeth, they chew on everything including shopping basket handles. This tends to raise their general levels of cold virus/germ exposure.

That's all I've got.
MmeBenaut said…
My mother and grandmother used owt's on me - but they were the usual ones: carrots to make you see in the dark and eating the bread crusts to make your hair go curly.
MmeBenaut said…
Oh yes and sitting on cold cement would give you "piles". Piles of what I often thought.

Your sisters were very mean to you weren't they?

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.