Skip to main content

The Ride

So...like I said, we had a bike ride to join in on Sunday. We couldn't have planned more perfect weather--80 degrees and sunny with blue skies. It was enough to draw a real crowd, and we had about forty people riding about twenty-five bikes of all sorts--Harleys, Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, and our BMW.

We all met at the Small Town high school and rumbled out of town on our way to a biker restaurant on a lake somewhere out in the country. I had never heard of the lake before, but it was lovely, about an hour and a half from our starting point. Because the place was packed and the kitchen was understaffed, the stop took twice as long as expected, but everyone had a nice sociable time, and then we rumbled on toward the next stop, a tiny town with an ice cream shop.

At this next stop, I heard the motto that seemed to sum up the day: We ride to eat, and we eat to ride. That about says it all with this bunch. We stopped for ice cream, and because of the time of year, pumpkin ice cream was on the menu, and I was so happy. I have ice cream two or three times a year, and one of those servings needs to be pumpkin for me to be completely satisfied.

Riding on the back of a bike through these tiny towns on old farm roads is always a fascinating way to see what there is to see. I saw a lot of dairy cows. I saw alpaca farms. I saw a Ben Franklin store. I saw a funeral parlor named Sweeny Dodds. I saw a home business called Lilly's Electrolysis.

All in all, it was a great day.

Comments

dive said…
"We ride to eat; we eat to ride".
Hee hee hee.
That's wonderful, Robyn.

And now I'm stuck with the image of you in Marlon Brando's cool hat from The Wild One.
Sassy Sundry said…
Ben Franklin stores still exist? Ours closed years ago. Perhaps it's because bikers around here seem to live to drink and drink to ride. They should eat instead.
Anonymous said…
No way! Sweeny Dodds?!? That's fantastic!
dive said…
We have a funeral parlour in Norwich (93, Oak Street if anyone's desperate) called the "George Bush Funeral Home".

Here are pictures of it:
http://www.plasticbag.org/about/
gallery/george_bush_funeral_
home.shtml

Good old George. He puts the "fun" in funerals.
Anonymous said…
Pumpkin Icecream? Now I've heard everything, although I've seen recipes for pumpkin scones. I thought that pistaccio icecream was as far out as it gets. We have wonderful gelato and icecream bars all over the place here and in summer everyone eats icecream. It's standard fare for a dessert trimmer here - with strawberries, or forest fruits or apple or apricot or (if you can get it) rhubarb pie. As for odd names, Maria's Meme yesterday was a hoot too!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...