Skip to main content

Scrooge, again and again and........



At amazon.com, I searched for "A Christmas Carol" to find my favorite--the 1938 version with Reginald Owen. There are so many different film versions of the Dickens' classic, I lost count at seventeen. Someone has done a much more thorough search that you can read up on here, if you'd like.

A general list:
1910--silent film
1938 with Reginald Owen
1951 with Alistair Sim (Scrooge--also a favorite of mine)
1954 with Fredric March
1979 with Henry Winkler
1985 with George C. Scott
1988 with Bill Murray (Scrooged)
1992 with the Muppets and Michael Caine
1999 with Patrick Stewart
2000 with Vanessa Williams (Diva's Christmas Carol)
2004 with Kelsey Grammer, a musical

There was a ballet in 1992, and there are too many animated versions to count including Brer Rabbit, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Mickey Mouse, Mr. Magoo, Sesame Street, Beavis and Butthead,.....

Evidently, anyone who has ever acted on stage, in front of a camera, in cartoon has done A Christmas Carol. What bothers me is this need to recreate the story as if it needs help--making Ebenezer a woman or a dog or 20th century just seems to adulterate a perfectly good classic tale. It's like injecting artificial raspberry flavoring into perfectly good dark chocolate.

Charles Dickens has no idea what he started.

Comments

dive said…
That's quite an astonishing number of remakes, Robyn; I wonder if it's a record …
I think I'll stick to the book.
Scout said…
I think it must be a record. I was thinking about other remakes I don't like, and I could only think of one per story. Maybe I'll compile a short list.
Old Knudsen said…
You've done it yourself Robyn, I did a post awhile back about remakes and now you've remade it, ah the irony, different movies mentioned though for the most.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...