Skip to main content

I'm Calming...

So I've heard anyway. At least my site seems to give that impression to at least two people who have used that word. This person has written a lovely little complimentary post about my site, and I'd like to quote it (this line made me chuckle, being a simple soul who won't swear to Old K's satisfaction. Sorry Old Knudson, you know you're always welcome here, and I won't sensor you, because I don't believe in sensoring.)

If you stop over, say something nice. Don't wreck the place.

Comments

JanieBelle said…
Hi Robyn,

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the plug!

I hope a bunch of our best Dreamers stop by and say hello. We tend to get a handful of ...um... less positive... folks, and perhaps your blog (should they drop by as well) might assist their blood pressure.

We really do love your place already.
dive said…
They're right, Robyn.
You're as warm and wonderful as listening to Garrison Keillor in front of the fire with a cup of hot cocoa.
You know this is what attracted me to your site in the first place. If you go back to one of your early posts I may have used that very word {calming}in my comment. It is indeed a refreshing break.
JanieBelle said…
"You're as warm and wonderful as listening to Garrison Keillor in front of the fire with a cup of hot cocoa."

Prairie Home Companion is definitely warm and wonderful. I recently read Lake Wobegon Summer of 1956. One of the best reads I've had in a while.

If you've got the time, it's worth the read.
JanieBelle said…
oh, and you have to love Guy Noir!

Always good for a smile
Scout said…
Listen to all of you. You're so nice, I'm about to get weepy.

and Rich, I did remember that you used the word "calming" back at the beginning of this. I keep that word in mind when I blabber on an on every morning.
Scout said…
Oh, and Garrison Keiller is my story-telling hero. We have seen his show live a couple of times, and I really get lost in his radio world. The soun dof his breathing in the microphone between phrases is as captivating as his words.

And I love the new movie.
Sassy Sundry said…
I love reading your blog. Glad people are noticing!
Old Knudsen said…
Its like coming into a church, you don't break wind or glass someone. I always take off me cap before clicking onto your blog, people of your ilk usually have a stick up their arse but you have a well hidden wicked side, you probably have another blog on which you're a real potty mouthed slapper, and its alright, I censor meself.
Scout said…
Sassy, have you been to blogs where they get 97 comments for one little post? Exhausting.

Old Knudson, you don't have to take off your cap just for me--stick up my arse, that I know of. someday I'll learn to spell.
Scout said…
Oh no. Not only can't I spell, but I left out a significant word. That's NO stick...
Old Knudsen said…
Now thats a slip.
Scout said…
It's not a slip, I swear. There's no stick! Ha
Sassy Sundry said…
You slipped on a stick---up your arse. Hee hee.

Ms. Freudian Slip (me) loves company.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...