Skip to main content

Classic Green Bean Bake

In anticipation of Thanksgiving, I feel I must post a recipe with plenty of good old American tradition.

The classic Green Bean Bake was invented in 1955 by Dorcas Reilly, a home economist who worked for the Campbell's Soup Company. A study was done determining that 50% of all Americans have eaten the classic Green Bean Bake, and 38% of those believe it is best served during the holidays, mainly Thanksgiving. So, for the other 50% and for those in other countries where this dish may be unfamiliar--my treat:

The Classic Green Bean Bake
serves 6 to 8

1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Dash of fresh pepper
1 20-oz. bag frozen cut green beans, thawed*
1 2.8 oz can French-fried onions

-Preheat the oven to 350 F
-In a casserole dish, combine the soup, milk, soy sauce and pepper. Stir in the green beans and half of the onions.
-Bake until bubbling, about 25 minutes. Top with the remaining onions and bake for 5 more minutes. Serve hot.

*Or cook 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans in lightly salted water until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.

Note: I found this recipe in Thanksgiving 101 by Rick Rodgers, but you can find almost anywhere if you look hard enough.

Comments

dive said…
Yum!
Though I prefer my green beans just lightly steamed and eaten with a spoon before they get a chance to reach the plate.

And Dorcas is a great name!
there must be a billion things you can make with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup

Thanks for the recipe.
Scout said…
I actually prefer them slightly steamed and eaten with fingers instead of a spoon, but at least once, everyone should have a heaping helping of Classic Green Bean Bake on their plate.
peahen said…
Thanks for this, Robyn, I'll give it a go!
CMC said…
I have never, in 29 years, had this. It's a standard joke at Thanksgiving that someone is going to make it, but it never happens.
Scout said…
Welcome Ween. This could be your year. You have to try it just once. I know people who refuse to eat Jello salad, which is a good policy, but really, experience the green bean bake.
Sassy Sundry said…
You know, we don't do Green Bean Bake in my family, but I have had it before. It's one of those things that just has to be consumed once in a while. Comfort at its best.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...