Skip to main content

Words of the Day No. 3

Words I like:

  • Verdant
  • Ferocious
  • Bramble
  • Wispy
  • Paltry
  • Rigamarole
  • Swell--as in "gee, that's swell."

Words I can't abide (I can only think of one today, although I'm sure Old Knudson could think of a few that would make my eyes roll back into my head--post 'em on your own site, if you do, Old Man):

  • Pustule

Comments

dive said…
Words are lovely;
squelch
platypus
wheedle
umbrage
genefluct
bouzinhas (not sure if I've spelt it right, but Ana always pronounced it boo-zin-yash[with a soft 's']) - a Portuguese word for little kisses around the edge of the lips, and probably my favourite word in any language.

Pustule made me go Eww!

Republican is an odd one. In your country it means right wing; in mine, it means a socialist and anti- monarchist. Which leaves me - as a crusty old socialist republican - in a bit of a quandary (another nice word).
Scout said…
These are great additions to the word list. Thanks!! I especially like the Portuguese word, although I hadn't thought about including non-English words to the list.

An Anti-monarchist? Really? My husband and I have been to London twice, and on the first visit while standing outside Buckingham Palace, I saw a small group of anti-monarchist protestors, and that was the first time it occurred to me that some of you might not appreciate your royal family. Interesting. Americans didn't like theme either.
dive said…
I've nothing against them personally, in fact as individuals, they're rather amusing.
It's just the old lefty loathing of "un-earned privilege" that gets me.
My brother says to pass on the word "axolotl" to you. He likes your word list.
Sassy Sundry said…
I love the word phantasmagoric. I hate the wrod undulating.
Scout said…
Dive: salamander? interesting. One of the few words I can remember from my trip to Brazil is lagatisha (probably misspelled). Try that on one of your Brazilian coffee girls. "eo quero lagatisha un cafe. Obliglato."

Sassy: Yes, undulating is a terrible word and conjures up horrible images--creature from the Black Lagoon kinds of images.
dive said…
Ah, lagartixa; those lovely little geckos that climb up the bedroom walls at night and freak you out.
Uma café da lagartixa is probably not what I'll be starting the week with tomorrow. A bit too wriggly …
Anonymous said…
Dive: that's it. I knew I was spelling it wrong. I also spelled "thank you" wrong but I can't find my Portuguese/English dictionary.
dive said…
Obrigado (for me); obrigada (for you).
Ate logo …
Anonymous said…
tudo bien

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...