Skip to main content

Welcome Niece Lizabeth

My niece Lizabeth has pinned the map, and I didn't even have to beg. Very nice. Yesterday, she left a very nice comment to a post I wrote sometime last month about the way my family celebrates Christmas. I have copied her comment here because I think it's worth reading:

Lizabeth said...
As I am the child that Sister #1 was expecting, EVERY Christmas for me included The Program. You have no idea what a lucky little girl I was. My auntees would spend inordinate amounts of time making me giggle, my uncle performed magic tricks, and everyone would watch me perform as if I were the most talented child in the Western Hemisphere. I loved Christmas at my Grandma's, not because it was my birthday, and not for all the great presents, but because The Program gave me a chance to join in this amazing group of people that looked and sang and laughed a lot like my mom.My friends think it's a riot, especially since my boyfriend learned to play the piano so he could play carols last year. As hokey as the whole thing is, it still reminds me that I belong to a family that is unique and quirky and very, very talented. (and that I'm still a lucky girl)

Comments

dive said…
That's lovely, Robyn. Your map is getting quite crowded already.

The Progam sounds great fun. We used to do a similar thing with our miscellany of musicians dotted about the families. My cousin Lizzie (also nicknamed Lizard, like your neice) and I still try to make joyous noises for everyone to sing along to.

There's so few of us left now (this week we're all a bit down as it's five years since dad died), that it gets a bit lonely around Christmas, but we still like to get together at my Aunt's and unplug the TV and make our own "musical" entertainment.

You've brought back some lovely memories. Thanks.
Scout said…
Dive, a few years ago my sisters, my niece, a nephew, and a brother in law went caroling in my mother's neighborhood in a suburb outside Atlanta. The neighbors were all gracious (we are pretty darn good, after all), but it seemed so odd to them. I'm afraid Christmas caroling is a dying tradition. A real shame.
Sassy Sundry said…
I went caroling one year. I have a horrid voice, but it was grand good fun.
There's nothing quite like the feeling of having a family at Christams. ooops can I actually "SAY" Christmas without someone being offended anymore?
You'll have to excuse my comments... i write them in such a rush sometimes I spell words backwards and to the point where they must not make much sense to the reader.
Scout said…
Rich, that's funny because I didn't even catch your typo the first time. We don't read entire words, I think, and my typing is so horibble that I didn't even notice.
Anonymous said…
We always went caroling as a youth group when I was in high school. We'd pile in vans and suburbans to cross about town to visit the elderly and the shut-ins (the only ones who ever are home or would appreciate 45 teenagers singing LOUDLY on their front porch.

It was always a comedy of errors -- racing about from house to house, having to sing the same verse twice in a row because we all suddenly forgot, dogs barking because a tenor started a carol and all the girls were in the rafters shrieking out "o holy night".

I still remember clearly the year that I broke Mr. MacFarland's doorbell (it fell off in my hand, I swear!), Mrs. Jones tried to offer us a box of candy but it had melted in her 90 degree house, and when Mrs. Avon insisted of hugging us tight and her wire hair rollers kept getting snagged in our knit hats.

Come Christmas, bring your cheer...

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...