Skip to main content

Tell Me About the Rabbits, George

Intriguing, I think, this idea of mixing up Mel Brooks with classic literature. What if he were to recreate Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights? MacBeth or Oliver Twist?

What if Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder were to team up again with a revised version of Of Mice and Men? Gene Wilder would be George, the smarter caring but cautious friend, and Rick Moranis would be Lenny, constantly asking for stories of rabbits and forever petting dead mice he keeps stock-piled in his pockets.

I'm not sure who would be cast in the role of Curly or his wife, who of course would not be killed--send suggestions. And, of course, Lenny would not be shot in the head at the end--he'd end up...hmm...I'm not sure. We'll have to give his future some thought. Or we'll have to leave that to Mel Brooks.

Comments

dive said…
You do come up with the most wonderful ways of entertaining our office staff. Current thinking on this one is:

Gene Wilder would be perfect for George, but Rick Moranis as Lenny? That's a strange one, although as John Malkovich has kind of spoiled the role, someone as odd as Rick might just work …
Madeline Kahn is sadly no more, but even dug up and propped in a corner would do a better job that Sherilyn Fenn did.
And Mel Brooks himself for Curly.

As we have not yet forgiven Nicholas Cage for the execrable desecration of the Wicker Man, let's have Lenny shoot him in the head (mercy killing). Then a big song and dance finale, like in Zatoichi.
Scout said…
You need to post a big group pic of the office staff so I know who I'm causing to be shiftless and unproductive.

Hmm. I wasn't even thinking of film versions of Mice and Men--I was going straight from the book.
Sassy Sundry said…
Oh dear. I have horrifying pictures of Steinbeckian musical numbers here.
Scout said…
Sassy, something like
Little bunny foo foo
hopping through the forest
scooping up the field mice
and bopping them on the head
Ms Mac said…
I have a couple of friends who make me feel like Lennie to their George. Maybe I should put myself forward for the part if it's ever available.
Ms Mac said…
That Stella person is me, by the way.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...