Skip to main content

Long Live Judy


This is Judy the Monkey. She was a gift from my mother when I was six, and I have treasured her all these years, as you can see from her excellent condition. She used to have buttons on her chest and a complete banana in her hand, but when I was a little girl, I ripped off the buttons and chewed up the banana--yes, it was made of plastic. Judging by the incision along her back seam, I'm guessing she used to have a squeaker or something inside, but when I was going through my surgeon phase, I apparently chose her as a patient.


There is a line in "Silverado" when Stella the barmaid says to Paden, "There's no telling what you're going to care about." There's no telling what a kid is going to care about. Around the time I got Judy I was a big fan of Daktari, a show about a veterinarian who worked with animals in Africa, along with Clarence the cross-eyed lion and Judy the chimp. No matter what was going on in the show or how impressive it should have been that someone could be friends with a lion, I only cared about Judy the chimp. So, when I first held my new yellow and black chimp, it could only have one name.

When I was in high school, Greasy Amusement Park Boyfriend gave me a new monkey as a replacement, not realizing that a child's favorite treasure cannot be replaced. The guy wrote his name on the bottom of New Judy's shoes, so when I dismissed Greasy Amusement Park Boyfriend, I dismissed New Judy, right into the trash.

I'm guessing that you all have something similar from your childhood that you keep tucked away in a safe place. Own up to it, and post pictures.

Comments

dive said…
Oh, no. Now I'm going to have to go crawling around in the attic to find a small, deformed mouse-thing called Boris.
I remember Daktari. There was a spate of zebra-painted Land Rovers around Norolk at that time.
Ms Mac said…
I do, but sadly, it's not in my possession. I gave my hard plastic faced Dopey Dwarf (which was handed down from my cousin when I was born) to my brother when he was born. The only thing left about him which is original is his plastic face, my mum had to replace his body in about 1981. I really hope my brother still has Dopey for when he and his lovely partner have their own family.
All I have is my very first Trumpet which I had refurbished two years ago. I got it when I was 10. The only other item i have is my very first issue of Playboy magazine which I got when I was about 11. I will post ASAP.
That monkey you have looks more like something from planet of the apes to me.. Now, I loved those movies, I use to go to the Rialto theatre in Roslindale to see em i think it cost 25 cents.
Scout said…
Dive, I will expect to see the mouse-thing soon. And we have to know it's name. Post it in Portuguese, if you want. Or better yet, Japanese, since you're cramming for a test.

Stella, I guess a plastic-head original is better than nothing. It would be interesting if the thing were to make it to other generations.

Rich, You saved a Playboy from when you were 11? Show the trumpet.
dive said…
A somewhat Freudian request there, Robyn.
Rich: Whatever you do, DON'T "show the trumpet"!
Oh the joy of smutty innuendo …
Scout said…
I swear on Judy's life there was no innuendo. Really. :)
Robyn, don't you know that most young boys create an attachement to their first exposure to the beauty of a womans body. That issue has survived many moves in my lifetime and I will not part with it.

Dive, I can show the magazine for you and the trumpet for Robyn.
Robyn, "greasy amusement park boyfriend'????? that is soooo funny. Did he drive an "el Camino" too?
Scout said…
Rich, he drove a black Mustang with huge back tires.
Sassy Sundry said…
Greasy Amusement Park Boyfriend. That's hysterical. Oh, I'm laughing hard. Poor Judy, she's been without her banana for so long (was it good?). My stuffed monkey is named Zucchini.
Scout said…
Sassy, will we be seeing a picture of Zucchini soon?
Sassy Sundry said…
I can give it a go. Zucchini is camera shy (and I'm afraid I'm not entirely certain just where he's run off to at the moment).

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...