Skip to main content

Traffic!

 

Not SRB, but it sure feels like it sometimes.

When you visit 30A and the surrounding area in January, traffic might not be an issue. It’s a small town with a small town’s worth of population. But come in the summer or during spring break or during fall break, and you’ll find yourself sitting in traffic, along with the residents who have learned to time their outings around when the visitors might be out on the roads.


For example, do not go to the grocery store on Sundays!


As I said, it’s a small town—I use “town” for lack of a better term. Santa Rosa Beach is actually an unincorporated area of Walton County. The roads were built to accommodate several thousand people going from A to B. Now it’s a huge destination for visitors, and the full-time residential population is growing quickly, but the roadways have not necessary been adjusted for the influx. 


You can widen Highway 98 all you want, adding lanes and stop lights and drainage systems (this has been an ongoing project for some time), but 30A cannot be widened, and neither can the roads that run between 30A and 98. Cram all those cars on a narrow road with few stop lights, add golf carts and pedestrians and people on bicycles leisurely crossing the street, and you get traffic. Bumper to bumper. Slow moving. Traffic.


Off this lovely road, back on 98, which is anything but lovely, you can still get bumper-to-bumper traffic. All the businesses and apartment complexes being added along this road, with quick entrance/exit lanes and impatient drivers who take risks, and you also get accidents.


My main point here, after describing the road system and the source of the bottle-necking, is to describe the nature of running regular errands. I have now mentioned twice that this is a small town. It’s a small town where most of the places you’ll need to go are not on the main road of 30A. They are on the crazy road of 98, which seems not to have been designed for the kind of development that’s being imposed upon it.


Grocery store? On 98. Post office? On 98. Doctors, dentists, pet supplies, building supplies, home goods, a light bulb? All on 98. To get to the post office, I travel up 393, a narrow north/south road and turn west onto Highway 98. The PO is not too far in that direction on the right. To leave that parking lot, I enter 98 still heading west because you can’t turn left onto the highway when not at a stop light. Then, I either exit left onto a U-turn area and hope for a break in east-bound traffic or continue to the next light, which is the far west end of 30A. Then I either make a U-turn or just meander down the beach road because it’s more pleasant, making a huge loop just to drop off a package.


Getting to the recycling drop-off area is the same. And yes, you drop off your recycling because there is no residential recycling program here. Really.


This is the nature of typical errands. There are few square turns, no road systems laid out in square blocks, hardly any simple trips required for daily living. While all of this sounds like complaining, I really am just explaining how this place works. From the long-time locals, I have heard how it hasn’t always been this way, and I am sure it’s only going to get worse as more and more development takes place, more and more people move here permanently, and more and more vacationers come here. 


So, what’s it like to live here, you ask? Traffic. Expect it. Take a deep breath, and exhale.


#30A #EmeraldCoast #SantaRosaBeach

Comments

dive said…
Yikes, Robyn! I'm sure if you guys had UK gas prices that road would be mostly empty. And please don't take a deep breath on there at least until all the cars are electric.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...