Skip to main content

The Weather Is Anybody's Guess

One of the main reasons people move to Florida is the weather. People are tired of winters, or maybe they never liked winters to begin with. They want more sunshine than northern skies provide, and they want to walk on the beach without wearing a coat and scarf. Well, welcome, but don’t be fooled by the palm trees—January can be chilly.

I get the attraction, although I only ever tired of winter when it dragged on past March. Otherwise, I appreciate the change of seasons. Yet, here I am living full-time in the Florida Panhandle.

I have noticed on some social media pages mostly aimed at vacationers that people from other places will ask about the weather as they plan their visit here. First, let me say that in this grand time of the 21st century, if you can afford to come here for vacation, you probably have the same access to the Internet that those of us living here have. 

Snark aside, predicting the weather here is tricky. I was warned about that before we moved here, but I didn't believe it until I experienced it. To begin with, don't bother checking the ten-day forecast because it's irrelevant. It's irrelevant anywhere but especially here. 

Also, don't put much stock in the forecast for tomorrow, whatever day that might be, because the Gulf winds are going to change it. If the forecast calls for rain in the morning, you might get some rain. You might get a downpour. You might also get sunshine and clear skies without a drop.

If the forecast calls for a sunny afternoon, and you're spending your morning with that weather in mind, it might happen for you. It might also happen that a storm will move in and flood the back yard in 30 minutes flat. What I have found to be true lately is a forecast calling for storms that keep moving around on the radar and then dissipate before they can actually cause trouble.

Hurricanes are another story, and I won't address that here. It's a science combined with some guessing, and I'll leave that to the experts. But for day-to-day weather, you just have to keep checking, look up in the sky, pay attention to thunder you might hear unexpectedly in the distance, and plan generally on being surprised.

This is a screenshot of an actual storm that was threatening the area for days. I did not play with the shape of it in anyway—it's simply Mother Nature having a joke on us, as she often does, acting as if even she doesn't know what's going to happen at any given moment.

Have I mentioned humidity? That's assumed, I suppose. There are people who love humidity like it's a comforting blanket. I have no use for those people.

#30A #EmeralCoast #FloridaPanhandle #Floridaweather

Comments

dive said…
Well spotted, Robyn! That storm is a very apt shape. This may be why so many English folk take trips to Florida; we're used to weather that changes every time you turn around.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...