Skip to main content

Eating Your Way Along 30A

One of the appeals of this place is the food—because the entire area has become such a draw to vacationers, and so many of those vacationers come from metropolitan areas where great restaurants are plenty, 30A has great restaurants. I won’t attempt to name them because I’ll leave most out by mistake and ignorance. Also, we moved here during the Covid pandemic, and although too many people around here claimed such a thing didn’t exist, we are just now getting out and trying new places.

First, when I say “vacationers,” I’m including the people who have second homes here and visit here quite often throughout the year, not just people who come here for a week or two in the summer. The second-home types generally have means, so their standards are means-worthy, and that’s why I believe there are so many remarkable restaurants here. There are people who will pay high prices to eat good food.

That means locals have to pay high prices, too, of course, but some places quietly offer 10% discounts to us. We have never asked for that discount but don’t turn it down when it’s offered.

Now about this food—you will find everything from delicious carpaccio and filet mignon in Inlet Beach to Italian dishes not involving spaghetti and meatballs in Grayton to sushi at Blue Mountain Beach to down-home dishes all along the way. For me, at the moment, I am drawn to the down home.

I am northern by most standards, and when I tell people we moved here from Ohio, I’m sure they assume some things. What they don’t know is that I was born in Alabama, and while raised in Indiana, I was brought up with the Food of My People—fried chicken, shrimp, and oysters; fried okra, hush puppies, honest to goodness coconut cake with seven-minute icing, fried corn (which is really more like creamed corn but fresh from the cob, frozen, and then cooked in a skillet), catfish, and biscuits. Just to name a few dishes from my mother’s kitchen.

I have done without these things for a long time, and now back in the South, I am making up for lost time. I have yet to find the corn or the coconut cake of my childhood, but everything else is available. This is not to say I don’t thoroughly enjoy more sophisticated dishes.

Have the hush puppies at Stinky’s Fish Camp for sure while you’re here, and the catfish tacos at Red Fish Tacos in Blue Mountain Beach. Shunk Gulley has a great shrimp basket, and their slaw is the best I have had, although it’s nothing like what my mother made. It’s better.

Another thing that is plenty here is fresh fish straight from the Gulf or the bay, either on menus or at seafood markets for meals at home. Oysters are everywhere in season, and shrimp and crawfish as well. Be sure to order crawfish pie at a place that’s known for making it well, and buy some shrimp and try your hand at making shrimp and grits.

I continue to answer the question “what’s it like to live here” because people ask it online quite often. So, food wise, it can feel like you’re on vacation all the time even though it’s just a typical Tuesday, which can get expensive. We enjoy the many local restaurants and look forward to discovering more, but we quite often have dinner at home because we aren’t bad cooks ourselves.

#30A #EmeraldCoast #FloridaPanhandle

Comments

dive said…
Darn, I'm glad I read this when I'm just about to start cooking. If I'd read it at work I'd have howled with hunger.
Stinky's Fish Camp? Sounds good enough to tempt me to swim there from England.
Bon apetit, Robyn!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...