Skip to main content

Finding "Night"

I was vacuuming all the empty bedrooms upstairs, the ones where my daughters used to sleep (sigh), and I ran across things I could pilfer. I found a bottle of nail polish, and now my nails look nicer than they have for a long time. I found a bottle of air freshener that will come in handy where the cats are concerned, and I found a book I had heard about but had not yet read, Elie Wiesel’s Night. I decided that as soon as I finished the house cleaning, I would sit down to read the book and have it finished by Sunday evening. It’s only about 120 pages.

Wiesel was 15 when his Romanian-born family was evacuated to a Nazi concentration camp, and Night is his account of those events. You’d think such a first-hand telling would take more than 120 pages, and printed with generous leading at that, but one thing that makes this book so compelling is that he takes only that number of pages, a sparse number of words, to tell his story.

When describing the day-to-day survival of concentration-camp living, if you can call it living, there isn’t room for sentimentality, although plenty of writers have tried to squeeze it in. And there isn’t room for lots of description of surroundings or characters or detailed impressions of events and feelings. It doesn’t matter if the sky is Wedgewood blue or Tupperware gray when men beside you are being beaten to death for a scrap of bread or selected for the crematorium because they are frail or shot in the head based on nothing but an armed guard’s whim. Descriptive flourish is no helpful tool when you’re telling everyone about a horror.

What Wiesel demonstrates for the rest of us who can’t possibly imagine being imprisoned in a concentration camp is that a human being forced into that situation stops being a human being. When you witness friends die, and family die and brutality that is the stuff of nightmares, you shrink inside yourself and stop reacting. You stop caring, or at least expressing any detectable concern, even for your own father. And exactly how many words does it take to make that point?

In his introduction, Wiesel wrote, “If in my lifetime I was to write only one book, this would be the one.” He went on to write many others, but this was the key book for him. I finished reading it as I was sitting outside watching my dog nose around the side yard. He was waiting for me to get up from my chair and play with him. I read the last page and Wiesel’s Nobel Peace Prize speech from 1986, and then I got up and threw the toy for the dog and cheered him on as he brought it back to me.

I wasn’t sure what to do with this stark telling of stark madness, and I thought only to throw the toy. I still don’t know what to do with the story of Night, which wasn’t new information, really, but I feel as though I am expected to do something, something other than play with my dog. Near the end of the Prize speech, Wiesel said, “We know that every moment is a moment of grace, every hour an offering; not to share them would mean to betray them.” I suppose if sharing them is so important, then accepting them is just as important and is enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.