Skip to main content

I Am A Mother—And It Feels Good

The babies when they needed me as Mother full-time.
The last few weeks have been all about being a mother to my girls. Parenting was a full-time job years ago when they were under my roof year round, but then it became less central to my identity and responsibilities. For the moment, we’ve returned to our old ways, and it feels good. Katie arrived here Saturday night after an 11-day trek across the country, and I went to sleep that evening with the comfort of knowing my babies were in their beds—for the moment, right where they belonged.

In early May, I moved Emily out of her dorm, hauling a year’s worth of stuff down a flight of stairs and packing my car in masterful ways, to the ceiling and leaving just enough room for the driver. Then I flew to Berkeley and helped Katie pack up and clean her condo, filling her car as well, and watching the movers haul out her belongings for storage.

Then I returned home to help Emily get ready for her main summer activity, working at Husband’s company. She needed to get her drivers’ permit, she needed clothes that didn’t look like pajamas, and she needed her things to be moved into the house in a way that did not create a hoarder’s maze for the rest of us.

And then Katie arrived. She’ll only be here until Wednesday when we’ll drive her to the airport, and then she’ll be off to Amman, Jordan to spend the summer in an Arabic studies program. In August, she'll return home for one day, and then she’ll move to Austin, Texas for grad school.

Katie has quite a to-do list and needs me to help with very little of it, but yesterday, we worked in tandem to check off nearly every item. She needed a meningitis vaccine, to cancel her cable at Berkeley, transfer her car insurance, register her car, arrange for prescriptions, buy some last-minute items, make calls and handle some school paper work. And she needed to get her cat’s teeth cleaned.

Nicholas, who will be my foster cat until winter.
Yes, her cat, Nicholas, has been part of the move. I determined I would not fly from SFO to Cleveland with a cat under the seat, so I arranged to have him driven. Did you know there are services out there that will haul your pets coast to coast? Amazing. I had hoped to have the little guy temporarily housed at a friend’s house because he has front claws and sheds and doesn’t know my pets, but no such luck. Now he’s here, hiding under Katie’s bed, and I’m sure waiting for a chance to swipe poor unsuspecting Baxter’s tender nose with his saber-like claws.

Today, we’ll attempt to socialize the menagerie, and Katie will finalize her traveling plans, and Emily will go to work with Dad, and I will ask what I can do to help with it all.

During these last few years with my daughters off on their own, I have enjoyed figuring out who I am apart from being a mother, and I look forward to many more years of self-discovery. But for these few days, I am Mother. My kids occasionally call me Universal Mother because at times I feel maternal toward the world, but really, I only belong to them. And it feels good.

Comments

savannah said…
LOVELY! i so, so, soooooo know what you're talking about, sugar! the coconut krewe is a lot older than your girls, but there are days... cheers to you! xoxoxoxox

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...