Skip to main content

A Humble Night's Sleep

Last night, I slept all night long—no waking up at 3:30 and staring out into the dark space, no looking at the clock thinking 30 minutes has gone by since the last time I checked when it’s been only 5, no tossing and turning wishing I had a better pillow (I always wish I had a better pillow). I think my restful night is a result of learning the difference between humility and humiliation.

I went to an orchestra rehearsal last night, our first in preparation for performing Scheherazade and Dvorak’s Cello Concerto. The horn is not a big feature in this program. With a few exceptions in the principle part, we aren't the solo instrument in the concerto, and we don’t represent a hostile sultan or a sultry storyteller. But every part has a role to play, and I felt sorely unprepared. Not that I hadn’t practiced or listened to the music beforehand, but I was too easily thrown, and there are some passages I physically cannot play, practice or no.

It didn’t help that I had basically eaten poison before showing up for rehearsal. After dinner, I had a small serving of the Cool Whip-based dessert I told you about in my previous post, and I believe the stuff is laced with something wicked. Even a sampling gives me a headache, and the small ramekin-sized serving I had was enough to blow up my brain and affect my eyesight. And by the time I took my seat on stage, I was feeling full-body unwell. I have had this reaction to sugar before, but I wasn’t expecting it from this fluff.

The thing is, throughout the evening I had to be honest and recognize that my sorry excuse for musicianship couldn’t be solely attributed to eating crap. I couldn’t even use that as an excuse for ten percent of my errors and apparent cluelessness and inability to triple-tongue at high speed or play with confidence. All I’m saying is that the headache and what felt like an allergic reaction to fake whipped cream didn’t help.

Whatever the cause, the evening was a lesson in humility. But let’s be clear, it was not a lesson in humiliation, and there is a huge difference between the two. I didn’t always know that, and there was a time when I would have returned home from such an evening, crawled into bed feeling like a complete failure and lay awake half the night reliving my errors. I would have kicked myself for making mistakes and being inadequate, and I would have tried to talk myself into quitting this thing that gives me so much joy; and all for being a fallible human being. Machines must sleep so well at night.

I used to be under the tutelage of a pastor who didn’t seem to know the difference between humility and humiliation and would deliver entire sermons using the word “humiliation” for what one must accept in spiritual development. He was so wrong, and how sad and gut-punching. And how sleepless.

Humility is a good thing. It helps us face the tasks at hand, taking on the challenge of the work we need to do instead of sitting back and accepting mediocrity. Humility keeps us putting one foot in front of the other with a reasonable sense of hope and higher expectation, because when we are humble but not humiliated, we know that even though we haven't reached our goal yet, we just might get there if we put in the extra effort. Humiliation puts us in the fetal position and makes us immobile with no hope of progress.

I’m glad I know the difference. Now, to work.

Comments

dive said…
Yay you for kicking humiliation into touch and getting a good, healthy night's sleep.
Humility's all very well, but you're an awesome horn player and you know as well as I do that you'll ace Sheherazade come concert night. I hope somebody videos it so I can grin as you rip through the sixteenth notes in the fourth movement.
Go, girl!
Robyn Martins said…
Dive is back! Notice I clarified—if you put in effort, you just MIGHT get there. It's quite possible I'll leave those notes to the professionals and do the best I can with what I can do.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...