Skip to main content

Different and The Same

Eustacia and No. 1
I was wide-awake at 3:00 this morning because that’s just how it goes sometimes. I never get up and snack or watch TV when that happens. I just try to will myself back to sleep. Sometimes it takes an hour or two of conscious willing to get there, but again, that’s just how it goes sometimes.

Very early this morning, all my discipline wasn’t working, so I picked up my cell phone and checked Facebook to discover the top two posts on my newsfeed were put there by my daughters. No. 1, a tutor who teaches Arab immigrants, started a blog nearly two years ago but let it go dormant until just recently (check out the Knitosaurus in the sidebar), and she linked to her latest post about dialectics and the usefulness of metaphors. Eustacia, winding down another year of college, complained about a blinking cursor and how she thought it might at least change colors or something. She’s an artist and doesn’t care much for writing papers, and she must have been sitting there not writing one.

I lay in the dark listening to the sound-asleep breathing of Big Puppy who had settled in nicely on floor, and I marveled at the differences in my two children. One expounds on thoughtful subjects, and a few thousand miles away, the other simultaneously curses the cursor. They have always been that way—complete opposites in their approach to the world around them. We used to joke that when the four of us would be walking down the street, No. 1 would walk ahead with Husband and proceed with purpose, and Eustacia and I would lag behind looking at the pretty colors or whatever. That’s a gross simplification of the truth, as most jokes are, but it represented the general difference.

But, as I lay in the dark listening to the sound-asleep breathing of Big Puppy, occasionally interrupted by his sighing or the shifting of his big feet, I marveled at the similarities of my two children. They can both ponder deeper issues and can both be eloquent about them according to their nature. They can both live independently of their parents, thinking things and doing things of their own accord, yet they are still and will always be directly connected to us. And like it or not, they can trace their various traits back to us, whether they be proceeding with purpose or looking at the pretty colors. That’s just the way it goes sometimes.

So, opposites resolved. They appear different yet are the same in many ways. Take a look at the photo above taken when they were much younger. They are three years apart, and although I don’t see it, people used to stop us in the street and ask if they were twins. Hardly, yet sort of.

Comments

daughter no. 1 said…
i like this!

for the record, the amount of purpose in my life has an increasingly less linear relationship with how fast i am walking.
dive said…
That photo couldn't be any cuter if you covered it in kittens.
Robyn, your girls are smart and beautiful, but when they shine it is your light they are reflecting.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...