Skip to main content

On Breaking Glass

Have you ever been so frustrated that you just wanted to break glass? Here’s what I mean:

For the last couple of months, I have been working a few hours a day typesetting for Husband’s company. I take existing books already set and reset them for e-publication, and I have a system down that allows me to complete one every 30 minutes or so.

It’s detailed work because e-files have limitations in the same way website have. You can only use certain kinds of fonts, for example, and you can’t use tabs or small caps or double-spaced lines. Because e-files will be custom-sized by each reader, text must flow in a variety of settings, so you can’t break lines manually as you would when setting text for a page, and you can’t hyphenate words in justified text. When you reset existing books, you can do a quick find-and-replace to eliminate the forced line breaks, but you can’t quickly eliminate any manually placed hyphens put in place to break words.

Eliminating all the hyphens would never do—these books I’m working on are romances, so there are plenty of character descriptions of women with copper-colored hair or raven-black tresses. She might be wide-eyed or quick-tempered or have a smart-as-a-whip wit. She might work part-time at the mini-mart, or she might be a top-notch day-trader. She says “good-bye” often and might wear fit-to-beat-the-band high-heeled boots. And here's my favorite—she offers a look "of last-chance-no-clemency-firing-squad resignation." Well, anyway, you get the idea. So, you, or I, have to hunt for each hyphen, leave in the good ones and eliminate the ones that suggest the heroine is search-ing for a man who would make for a good hus-band or who is drop-dead gor-geous. See what I mean?

So, this is what I do, and I don't really mind it. I listen to radio dramas or audio books while I work, and I take breaks to play with the dog. But yesterday, I learned that some of the rules have changed in these re-settings, and I now have to go back through every book I have set since January and switch out fonts and ISBNs and do more hyphen searches, and all I could do was take a good, deep breath and get to work. What I wanted to do, though, was break glass.

The thought came to me as I remembered a long-lost friend, a girl I knew in middle school. Laura was one of my few friends who went to my church, and ironically she was nothing but trouble. My most vivid memory of time spent with her was of walking along some railroad tracks on a sunny, fall day—those days in northern Indiana are glorious for the senses, with sights and sounds and smells. We punctuated our school-girl conversation by picking up any empty beer bottles we found along the way and smashing them on the railroad ties or the metal tracks themselves, and the act was oddly satisfying.

I can’t tell you why that it is, but yesterday, I wished I could walk along those tracks with the troubled Laura and break glass if only for a few min-utes. I could-n’t, though. I could on-ly sit and click a-way to change fonts and elim-inate er-rant hy-phens. Today, when I get back to it, I might be list-ening to this:

Comments

Speedway said…
Thanks, Scout. That explains some of the peculiarities in the page layouts on my Kindle, while I got about a month ago. I get weird line breaks, where there's plenty of room for the word on the line above, but it gets sent to the following line. I get the weird hyphens, too.

The first books I downloaded are very old history books, which look to have been scanned with a software program. The page headers and chapters appear in the middle of the body copy, breaking up paragraphs. Once I figured that out, the copy was easier to read, but still annoying. Blech!
Speedway said…
I meant "which," daggone it.
savannah said…
i know i should do the kindle/nook thing, sugar, but i'm book-stuck. and lov-ing-it! ;~) xoxoxoxox


(i do love the idea of breaking glass as a release.)

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...