Skip to main content

Casablanca—A National Treasure

Last weekend, a friend texted and asked if I wanted to go out for dinner and a movie with some other women—our husbands, it seems, were going to be playing poker, so let’s go. We saw a Reese Witherspoon flick that was unremarkable, as all Reese Witherspoon flicks are, but I did find something remarkable in the previews.

Next Wednesday, March 21, theaters around the country will be showing Casablanca, the original classic from 1942 in honor of its 70th anniversary. Everything is about marketing, though, so I have to acknowledge this one-day screening is also about promoting the release of the digitized DVD coming out from Turner Classic Movies.

I was so excited, I pulled out my silenced cell phone to make note of the event. The woman sitting beside me laughed at me for doing that, but that’s just because she doesn’t understand my connection with classic movies. They aren’t just films. They’re living, breathing things that are woven into my very being. If you cut me, I bleed cellulose. No, that’s not right. I bleed celluloid.

When I was a kid in middle school and high school, I literally scheduled my life around which films would be airing on WGN in Chicago every weekday at 9 a.m. We’d get the TV guide in the Sunday paper, and I would read through the schedule to note which movies I would be sure to sit for. It was easy in the summer because I could see them all—I’d get up just in time to make an egg salad sandwich with a slice of gov’ment cheese, and I’d sit cross-legged on the couch and be transported.

During the school year, though, I often had scheduling conflicts. I’d be expected to go to school, but I would want to stay home for The Philadelphia Story or Psycho or The Heiress. So, I would occasionally find myself ill on certain days, too ill for school. On Borrowed Time or Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, for example, would cause a sore throat. And The Rainmaker, Meet John Doe or The Grapes of Wrath would cause a terrible stomach virus.

I fantasized about being able to own these movies personally, thinking there must be some way to allow people to have access to them whenever they liked. Why couldn’t we own movies the same way we owned cassette tapes, I questioned? You can imagine how excited I was at the release of the first VCRs. I ran right out and bought Gone With the Wind and held it close to my heart, dreamily saying, “Finally, my very own movie to watch whenever I wish.”

Well, of course I own a DVD of Casablanca and can watch it anytime I like, but seeing it on the big screen will be a real treat. If you find yourself sitting by me in the theater next Wednesday, please forgive me if I start to say the lines with the characters. I’ll try to keep it down.

While I wait for the screening, here is my column for today's edition of Small Town Newspaper. For those who live near Small Town, the theater in New Towne Mall will not be playing Casablanca, but Tinseltown in North Canton will air it at 2:00 and at 7:00. Let's go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...