Skip to main content

Dinner Is On! No Matter What!

I will have my dinner party if I have to drag people off the street to sit at the table! That’s the level of determination that drove me yesterday as I prepared for an evening meal.

There is a new musician in our community orchestra, an engineer/violinist from Brazil who is working for a local company. He’ll only be here for a year, so we wanted to invite him for dinner, given our own Brazilian connection. We also invited his boss and wife, who we know, Conductor Eric and another couple of friends connected to the orchestra. We set the date a couple of weeks ago and confirmed with everyone invited—Saturday, March 10 at 6:30.

But on Friday at 6:30, the Brazilian guest arrived ready for dinner when there was none. Apparently, my email to him said Friday, March 10, and in the confusion, he decided I must have meant Friday and not the 10th. How embarrassing for everyone as we stood in the doorway stammering and apologizing. We invited him in anyway and had a nice chat, although I had nothing to offer him for a meal—couldn’t even make him a sandwich.

The young man had other plans for the 10th and couldn’t return, and when I informed his boss of the confusion, that couple decided to back out and opt for another event they needed to attend. So, there I sat on Saturday morning with a reduced guest list and pounds of mussels and dozens of clams, a refrigerator full of dessert and fire in my belly. I will have this dinner! I invited another friend to come, one who knows those who were still confirmed, and we scrambled to bring in others to no avail.

Turns out that seven at the table is just fine, and dinner was on minus the original guest of honor and the business owner who we wanted to encourage to support the orchestra. We really weren’t going to ask him for money, just wanted to develop a relationship and connection.

So, dinner was Ina Garten’s Kitchen Clambake with a few variations. First, she only adds salt and pepper, but I sautĂ© the onions and leeks with a good dose of Emeril’s dried herb mix, something he obnoxiously calls “Essence.” (Tip: mix this stuff from scratch. The bottled stuff you can buy tastes like dirt.) Ina also calls for kielbasa, but I use andouille sausage instead, and last night I also added some bourbon sausage from Niman Ranch. I also leave out the lobster, and it all makes for a nice, big pot of yummy dinner.

I also served an assortment of miniature desserts I discovered in a fun cookbook—Petit Sweets. Fortunately, I made a few extras, so I’ll be treating myself to one or two of those today.

My point: don’t mess with my dinner plans, you mischievous Dinner Party Fates. I will have my meal, even if I sit with strangers, even if I have to eat alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...