Skip to main content

The Philosopher Kings

When I travel, I pack a bag to keep myself amused, and I think of it as an Activity Bag. When the girls were little, I would pack Activity Bags for them with fruit snacks, crayons and coloring books, little travel games, audio CDs and maybe a movie if we had a DVD player in the minivan.

My personal Activity Bags don't have crayons and fruit snacks—it's a pity. It usually includes a book or two, a notebook and pencil, some Chapstick, some M&Ms, mints, my iPod and my iPad for magazines and Angry Birds. When I get bored with one thing like reading or listening to music, I dig around in the bag for something else to do.

Last week on the flight home from Hawaii, I had read and listened and played, and then I went to sleep. When I woke up, the plane was dark, and it was somewhere between 2 and 3 in the morning with a few hours left before Chicago. So, I plugged headphones into the armrest and tuned into the stupid TV. There was a sitcom, and then came a documentary. For a moment, I thought about unplugging and trying to go back to sleep with the introduction of the film, but I stayed tuned in and discovered something really good, "The Philosopher Kings."

This documentary was made in 2009 and got plenty of coverage, apparently, but where was I? I can't say, but at least I have discovered this gem now. It made such an impact on me that I watched it again when I got home, and now I have written today's column for Small Town Newspaper about it.

I think that if you are behind the game like me, you should catch up and watch "The Philosopher Kings" now. Right now. You'll find it here on the website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.