Skip to main content

Hanging My Hopes On A Gadget

Microsoft is researching uses for its new camera, a thing they call SenseCam. You wear it like a badge, and it senses your surroundings, automatically snapping photos of what you see all day long. Then, you download the images to a computer and review your day. There really are good uses for such a thing, and I've written today's column for Small Town Newspaper about it.

When my father had Alzheimer's, he had trouble recognizing people he knew, and we could gauge the progression of his disease by which people he had lost in his head. If he couldn't remember the name of his neighbor, that was one thing, but when he couldn't remember our names or failed to recognize us as people he knew at all, that was something else entirely. And when he reached the stage where he didn't recognize his own reflection in the mirror, then we knew he was pretty far in the reaches of the disease.

For a long time, my mother liked to tell a story about how my father would talk to himself in the mirror, as if he were introducing himself to the man in front of him. It was sad to watch, and you had to decide whether to let him go because what was the harm or explain to him that he was seeing himself. Knowing he was looking at his own reflection might have confused him on certain days because he didn't think of himself as an 80-year-old man. In fact, he would sometimes look at my mother across the room and ask us, "Who is that old woman over there?" as if he thought he should be married to someone more his age, someone in their 40s or 50s.

One day he was talking to the stranger in the mirror, and my uncle, my mother's brother, watched with amused interest and later mocked my father—that's the part of the story my mother liked to tell because it made her so angry (as if she had always been a sensitive soul who was generous and kind with our father, but that's another story).

My sisters put together a photo album for him to help him identify people, but I don't recall that it helped him very much. We may have given it too late because he would look at pictures, and even though they were labeled with names, he still wouldn't understand what he was seeing. I remember his staring at a framed photo of one of us for the longest time, holding it up to the light and trying to figure out why the picture would be sitting on the coffee table in the living room. And then finally, he blurted out, "Who the hell is this?"

Well, after learning something about the new automatic camera and how it might help delay the progression of Alzheimer's, I'm hanging my hopes on the research and hoping that such a thing, if used early enough, might help people with this nasty disease that runs in my family bloodline. I'd prefer a definitive cure, but until then, give me the camera.

Comments

dive said…
What a terrific idea, Robyn, and you write about it so well.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...