Skip to main content

A Mountain of Food


For as long as I can remember—seriously, all of my life—my sisters have gotten together for Christmas. First, the ones who had moved out of our parents' house came back for the holiday, and later we all came back with our husbands and children. Christmas was often the only time we would see each other all year, and we would spend two solid days cackling and singing and telling stories. Fun.

Well, this year my family unit has decided to do something different and stay home for Christmas. We did this once before—after 9/11, the Chicago sister was uneasy about flying, so we all agreed to spend the holiday at our respective houses instead of traveling to Georgia. That was the one Christmas meal I cooked for my family, and this year I get to do it again.

It's just one meal for one day, but I've been planning, searching for recipes and menu ideas, making a grocery list that fills an entire 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, making a schedule for when to make what. I can make the cranberry chutney in advance, for example, and I'll need to make the pumpkin cheesecake on Saturday so it will be ready on Sunday.

Today, according to my schedule, I pushed a large cart through the grocery store and filled that massive list, piling the cart high with the goods—fennel, leeks, lemons, cranberries, onions, ginger, sweet potatoes, candied pecans, chocolate...—and heaving it around each corner of every aisle. I don't buy a lot of prepackaged stuff, so I usually buy groceries around the perimeter of the store, skipping all the middle aisles with all the junk. But this morning, I covered every square foot of the store, possibly twice. I would get all the way to the cookie aisle and remember I hadn't picked up crystalized ginger in the baking aisle, and I'd have to go back. The same thing happened with the vegetable broth and the ginger snaps.

When I buy groceries, I do what my kids call "power shopping." I waste no time dilly dallying in the store, and I walk with purpose. If I'm going in for milk, I go in for milk, and don't get in my way as I go. That's not to say I don't get sidetracked by shiny things now and then, but I tend to move quickly even in my distractions. Today, however, the place was packed with people, and the lines were long at the check out, so I had to take a deep breath and go with the flow, or relax with the flow as the case was.

Maybe that slower pace will stick with me when I start working in the kitchen for this grand feast, and I will enjoy the whole process. Maybe. Or maybe I'll charge full speed and mix the snack mix (thus, the Bugles) and make the tomato tarts (thus, the puff pastry) and bake cheese cake (thus, the cream cheese). There's work to be done. It's a real pity there will be no sisters to help make the work go by quickly with singing and giggling, but we'll make it a feast all our own.

Comments

dive said…
Hoorah for Christmas cooking fests. I wish I could come on over and help out in your kitchen, Robyn. It looks like you'll be having a whale of a time.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.