Skip to main content

A Trip to Georgia

I'll be flying to Georgia tomorrow to spend a few days with my family. My mother will be 86 on Friday, and this weekend seemed like a nice time for a visit.

We've treated our mother to a party before—last year, we threw a shindig at my sister's house for her 85th, and we made the day special for her a few years before that, I believe. Each time, we invited her lady friends from church who come decked in their sweater sets and pearls, and they gather around the tables topped with lace, and they laugh and tell stories and eat coconut cake.

What's a birthday without coconut cake, I always say. OK, I may never have actually said that out loud, but it has become a tradition when celebrating my mother's birthday, and I would miss it if we opted for something else. Coconut cake is a southern staple, and my mother used to make the best cake with seven-minute icing. I called it "crunchy icing" before I knew the real name for it because it hardens on the surface and becomes a little crisp. If it doesn't, you haven't made it properly.

We'll have coconut cake this year for our family party, but we're doing something a little different as well because now Mama lives in an assisted living facility. She's not wild about it and complains every day about being lonely and shut off from the world. So, we're going to have a little party in her new digs. We'll be serving cupcakes at that one and will include all of the residents. And we'll give her a bulletin board decorated to match her room so she'll have a space to keep her cards and calendars and all the other stuff she has typically collected on her side table.

Hopefully, the toothpicks will be put in the trash, though. I don't know what it is with my mother and toothpicks, but she has always cleaned her teeth after dinner while sitting in the chair and reading, and then she leaves the nasty things on the table, for weeks, and they collect, and they gather dust, and she saves them. You could chalk it up to being old, but I remember having to dust the side table as a kid and sweeping toothpicks into the trash. So, no toothpicks on the bulletin board. Or maybe we should create a special pocket for them so she'll have a place to hoard the stash.

Well, I digress as I tend to do. I'll overlook the toothpicks on this visit and focus on the birthday. A few years ago, my mother said never thought she would live that long—she might have been 80 or 81—and now she's 86, her sister will be 81 tomorrow and her brother just turned 90. That's worth celebrating, I think, and coconut cake seems like the perfect way to do that, along with a flight to Georgia.

Here is No. 1 with my mother last Christmas—two generations of fierce women.


Comments

savannah said…
congratulations and best wishes to your mamma, sugar! i love that picture. here's to strong women!! xoxoxo
dive said…
How wonderful, Robyn. Happy Birthday to your mother. I hope she enjoys every second of your visit.
That is a gorgeous photo of both of them.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.