Skip to main content

Regis Philbin—Help In A Time of Need

Have I said how much I dislike daytime television? I really do. I'm even to the point of shrugging to CNN in the morning because the programming and the chatter doesn't inform or excite or entertain. Usually.

There was a time when I was in college, and the ABC soap lineup had me hooked, I confess. I would go home to visit my parents and would hope to sit down to some stupid story line on One Life to Live or General Hospital only discover my father had become attached to As the World Turns on another network. The burly man retired from his heavy construction carpenter work and soon began spending his time watching soap operas. I was stunned and a little saddened. Odd, I think, that my watching them didn't make me sad, but I hated that my father watched them, as if he was too good and purposeful for soaps, but I had nothing better to do and was more suited to them. I wasn't, but I didn't know that just yet.

Now, if I turn on the TV during the day, it's for background noise, and I go straight to Turner Classic Movies. If the movie is a dud, I'll switch to some other movie channel or National Geographic or a History Channel show about ancient Egyptian mysteries or Mayan prophecies. But then there is Regis Philbin.

I know. His morning show can be a drag, but his personality can make up for it. I have no opinion on Kelly Ripa; and Kathy Lee Gifford, for whatever reason, makes my skin crawl, but Regis and I go way back. Here's what I have to say about his recent retirement from his morning show, as it appears in today's issue of Small Town Newspaper.

Comments

dive said…
He sounds a hoot, Robyn. I wish we'd had people like him over here when I was younger.
Speedway said…
Hi, Robyn! I have trouble watching daytime TV, abhor the soaps, and will always watch Turner Classic Movies, particularly if they're showing a b/w detective movie from the fifties. Or Fred Astaire. Or Basil Rathbone.

If there isn't a movie I can stand, I'll turn to the Discovery Channel for Mythbusters or to NatGeo for Rocket City Rednecks - if I can't find an old Julia Child re-run. There's also been something about Vincent Dinofrio on Law & Order: Criminal Intent I've found fascinating.

Never watched Regis because I couldn't stand Kathy Lee. I found her creepy, too.

WV = angsting: Don't like daytime TV. Am I angsting over it? No.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.