Skip to main content

A Short Weekend At Short North

We know a woman who organizes friends like she's sorting flatware in the kitchen drawer, and it's a good thing. She sometimes organizes us into pleasant events, choosing destinations and making reservations on our behalf, which was the case this weekend,

Husband and I, and three other couples, met in Columbus for Gallery Hop, a monthly event in the Short North, which is a trendy area in Columbus. That section of High Street is now filled with shops and galleries, restaurants, cafes and bars. The first Saturday of the month, the street is also filled with tons of people, street musicians, activists with petitions to sign and a few Harikrishnas.

We spent Saturday night at the 50 Lincoln Bed & Breakfast, a big house just a few short blocks from High Street. The place was big enough to accommodate us all, plus a group of about eight women. We had private rooms and baths, and we shared a comfortable living room and had the run of the kitchen. There was a guest refrigerator filled with wine, cheese and fruit, and we could all help ourselves any time. Breakfast was served in the shared dining room, and it was just lovely—bacon, blueberry pancakes, coffee cake, fruit, juice, coffee.

We had dinner at Rigsby's Kitchen, a great place just a short walk from the B&B. The server was a sort of caricature, and he was very good at what he does. He brought us great meals—arctic char with black rice and oranges for me—but we skipped dessert in exchange of Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream. I'll explain.

I first heard about Jeni's when No. 1 lived in Columbus. She called one day to describe the serving of cucumber ice cream she had had, and she raved about every flavor on the changing menu. Turns out there was a Jeni's just down the street from our restaurant, so we decided to go there for a taste of something wonderful. First, we went to several galleries and gift shops and generally roamed around, and then we cross the street to discover the line for Jeni's was out the door, around the corner and down the street. It's that good.

Some of us were perplexed as to why we would wait in a long line just for ice cream, but the rest of us stuck to our guns and got some of the best ice cream I've ever tasted. I ordered two small scoops—one of dark chocolate and one of black coffee. Ohmygoodnesswhatacombination! Next time I'm in Columbus and get a chance to stop at Jeni's, I might order the pear and reisling sorbet. Doesn't that sound wonderful? If you don't follow my links to the B&B and restaurant, at least follow the one to Jeni's and watch the video on the home page.

So, it was a great weekend away. People should do this more often. Maybe if we all had friends who organized us like forks and spoons, we would.

Comments

dive said…
Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, Robyn. Next time you're there, try to persuade Jeni to open a shop in England.
Happy fifth blog birthday, by the way!
Anonymous said…
Glad you liked the center of our gay community in Columbus, The Short North!
The Short North is awesome. I often drag my brother there when in town. He just moved north of campus. Haven't visited Jeni's yet, but will be on my "to do".

Did you hear the Terry Prachett inteview on Morning Edition this morning? Thoughtful and heartbreaking.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.