Skip to main content

Happy Blog Birthday!

Hey, its my blog birthday! Happy birthday to Just Sayin’, born mostly of curiosity but long-lived because I can’t figure out how to quit.

On August 6, 2006 I finished reading a couple of blogs I had discovered, and I thought I might like to give this odd hobby a try. It is like a hobby, isn’t it? I mean what else would you call something you do almost every day solely for the purpose of amusement and creativity? Well, sometimes my blog posts are creative, although I’ll admit to writing filler posts like everyone else does from time to time. I remember that Post Something Every Day for the Month of November business (I know that wasn’t the name of it, but it’s all I’ve got on hand), and I posted small watercolor paintings on some days just to participate.

I have incorporated some Photoshop skills in my posts, like the series of cat photos melded with historic imagery, or like the photos of book-mobiles modified to represent far-flung ideas I had for traveling businesses. I’ve written some short fiction, played with some memes, recorded me at the piano, shown paintings I’ve done, shared recipes that I loved and let you see my cats in action (long live Big Mike).

And all the while, people actually read and commented. There was a time when my corner of Blogville was thriving, but then came Facebook, which robbed me of some neighbors. And then came my own malaise when it came to reading other blogs and commenting on other posts, so it serves me right that Just Sayin’ has become strung with cobwebs from neglect.

After five years and over 64,000 hits, I wonder about the end of Just Sayin’. I wonder when I’ll write my final post and what will lead me to decide it will be my last. I have considered ending the thing over the last several months, but then someone new will decide to follow me, or I’ll think of something I’d like to say or show, or I’ll feel inclined to be more neighborly with the remaining bloggers and the new ones who appear.

About those 64,000-plus hits—this seems like a lot to me, but there are blogs that get that much in one day, and it has taken me five whole years to get there. And these days, a lot of those hits are from people from around the world searching on Google for Angela Anaconda or Trail bologna or a recipe for Johnny Marzetti, and they never return. I can only sigh at those hits.

So, Just Sayin’ will continue living in Blogville for now, on the corner of Blah Blah Blah and Scout. Thank you to everyone who has graced my front stoop with your visit.

Comments

dive said…
Happy Blog-Birthday, Robyn!
Thank you for five years of wonderful, warm, Blogville good-neighbourliness. The corner of Blah Blah Blah and Scout is one of my favourite places on the planet to hang out, share coffee and just talk and laugh and watch the world go by.
To your list of blog achievements, you must add your fabulous novel and some superb short stories and delicious recipes among many, many other delights.
Here's to the next five years.
Robyn Martins said…
Thanks, Dive. And the same to you (I've already said this on your blog. Fences make bad neighbors, I say, and Blogville seems to have very few of them.
savannah said…
happy blog-birthday, sugar! i'm happy i found you, happy you've stayed and very happy to have you as a friend! xoxoxoxoo
Robyn Martins said…
Hi Savannah. You're one of the few who joined Facebook but didn't abandon your blog. I'm so glad.

Hi Cheri. Long time no see.

anonymous: I enjoyed the atmosphere and the art and great food. Didn't notice if it was the center of the gay community or not.
Shan said…
What a giant piece of work 5 years makes! Congrats on all the blogaliciousness! It has been great fun getting to know you and seeing your life change over the years. You are always inspiring with your many interests and hobbies and a better mother you won't find! I think the blog has been a more than fabulous invention for writers. I have a hard time blogging because I don't really enjoy writing until I'm somewhere in the middle of mine and realize I'm making valuable memories for myself and maybe my kids some days. I hope you keep your blog going here though I know it's more fun when there's more banter about. I still love to visit and see what you're up to. There's nothing quite like my batch of blog friends! :)

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.