Skip to main content

The End of That

For the past three years, I have volunteered as a tutor for Even Start, a family literacy program that operated with federal funds, but the program is folding this week because Congress eliminated it back in the spring as part of the Continuing Resolution. Based on a study done several years ago that revealed some of Even Start's flaws, they determined it was a failure and not worth the $66.5 million we put into it annually (our local program operated on just $13o,000 annually). No one with a Yay vote stopped to consider that vast improvements were made to the program because of that early study, and there was no current study to show how effective the new and improved Even Start program had become, but it was a target, and that was that.

There are other literacy programs around, but none of them, at least none of them locally, provides transportation and childcare for needy people who wouldn't otherwise be able to get an education. These are people who made bad decisions as teenagers and are now trying to repair the damage and people who risked their lives to travel to America because we are the land of dreams. So, now the students of Even Start, and their children who were taught in their own classes while their parents studied, have no way to even get a GED.

I volunteered as a reader in the morning class, which was an ESL class for Hispanic immigrants. On a typical day, we had about 15 students—mostly women and mostly from Guatemala, although we had two or three men as well and people from Mexico and Puerto Rico. I was continually impressed with how hard they worked against the odds—working nights and taking care of little kids and still determined to learn English. Some of them were grossly undereducated even in their own language, so we worked on math and history and art and music and pinpointed spots on a world map. We even talked about the nature of the moon—no, it doesn't emit light of its own.

Yesterday, these ESL students wanted to thank the teachers and volunteers for all of our help, so they hosted a big lunch with their best dishes we had come to love—flautas, empenadas, tinga, rice, roasted tomato salsa...and we sat around eating and talking and laughing and crying.

One of the students I had grown closest to talked about how shy she was when she entered the program, and how she hardly knew any English. She had only had four years of school as a girl in her village, so she was starting from scratch, not just learning a new language. Now she is so advanced, she serves as an interpreter for the newer students, and she reads almost fluently. Her children are all in public school, and they are at the top of their classes and excelling in every subject because she said Even Start has helped her teach them the value of education. She started to cry as she talked to us and then the rest of us couldn't help but join her. The poor director who had worked so hard to replace funding had to leave the room because she felt she had failed. She certainly had not, but we were all feeling a combination of sorrow, anger, guilt and frustration.

As I looked around the room at these people who, on the surface may seem a drain on public funds, but in reality contribute to a strong social fabric America really, really needs, I felt so ashamed of my country. We talk a big game about being the best nation on earth, but look at who we discard? We take our neediest people and toss them aside, and all because we refuse to tighten loopholes in the tax code or to reverse the temporary tax cuts given to them during the Bush years. These people we're abandoning want to contribute to society. They want to be self-sufficient, and they work harder than anyone else I know and raise their children with a strong work ethic. It seems to me these are the people who need help now, not the top earners. That's not redistribution of wealth. It's an investment in our future as a nation, and it's being our brother's keeper.

The students gave us each a card, and I was expecting to read their signatures, but they wrote in complete sentences, which made me so proud of them. They said things like, "Thank you for all your help and your patience," "Thank you for helping us. I really enjoyed your history class," and "Thank you so much for your help. I hope I will see you soon again. God bless you." And from the woman I mentioned—"Dear Mrs. Robyn, thank you so much for everything you did with us. I really appreciate your help and patience with us. I'm so happy to meet a person like you. Love, Juana."

My dear Juana, I'm the one who is so happy to have met a person like you.

Well, I don't have $130,000, so today I can only look back at these last three years as a gift. Here is the group on our last day—I'll miss you all, and I'm sorry our priorities are out of line:


Comments

dive said…
Darn it, Robyn, you made me cry.
It is a sick system that gives tax breaks to the obscenely wealthy and cuts funding for essential services like this.
Juana said it beautifully. And she was able to say it because of you.
Let's hope funding can be found to restart the programme in the future.
PF said…
Robyn, I am so sorry this has happened. I KNOW how much volunteering with this group meant to you. I talked to Berhline Wednesday evening, and she could hardly talk about it without crying. She put 9-1/2 years into this. Remember how much you helped and contributed to their education and happiness :)

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.