Skip to main content

Combat Paper Project

As usual my column appeared in yesterday's edition of Small Town Newspaper—you can read it here, if you want.

I found the site, Combat Paper Project while nosing around the Internet a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was worthy of some local attention. Plus, it put me in mind of the homemade paper projects my girls and I used to do when they were younger and how we took useless trash and turned it into one-of-kind things I think were beautiful. I still have a collection of the paper they made.

We had a couple of small kits with framed screens and blotting paper, and on slow days, the girls would take off and let their imaginations go wild with paper. They would rip up scrap paper and throw it in a blender and then add other things—herbs, flowers, lavender from the back yard, ribbon, bits of rope, you name it. Then they would blend it all into a slurry, pour it into a tray, dip in the screen, and pull out something entirely new.

You can let the new paper air dry, or you can microwave it—I think the Combat Paper people actually bake it. And then you have fascinating little pieces of paper. Before the stuff dries completely, you can press molds into it for embossing, or you can stick in other things to give it added texture. Then when you're finished, you hold up your creation and say, "look what I made?"

There is a sense of pride in making things, and I can only imagine that sense is intensified when you know you've taken the thing that haunts you and turned it into something that graces the room instead. There are insurance commercials floating around these days with the line, "take the scary out of life." Even though I have never been in combat and don't begin to equate my troubles with those of a soldier with PTSD, I have taken on this line as a personal challenge, and I can see how making paper from a combat uniform would go a little way in doing the same—turning army-issue clothes into art takes the scary out of life, doesn't it?

Comments

dive said…
Making paper is great fun. Messy, but fun.
The Combat Paper Project sounds strange at first glance but there is a real therapeutic value behind what they're doing. Vets need all the help they can get so it can only be a good thing.
savannah said…
thank you, sugarpie! i am feeling a bit worn down and this is just what i needed to read! xoxoxox

p.s. if i haven't mentioned it lately, i am sooooooo glad to know you! ;)
Robyn Martins said…
Dive, doesn't it sound strange at first? But then you listen to the testimonials of the people involved and see the work they create, and it all seems to fit.

Savannah, I'm so glad I know you, too!

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

Happy Birthday...

to me! Update: Since you have asked, I only got one actual packaged gift, a beautiful hand-made bracelet from a friend, but both girls were home for the weekend, and we had dinner at the lake and a relaxing weekend. Thanks to all of you for your lovely wishes!

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...