Skip to main content

The Big, Scary Deep End

My column in today's edition of Small Town Newspaper is about conquering the deep end. You can take that literally or as a metaphor—either way, it works. The piece is here.

When I was a kid, the Knaver family down the street had a swimming pool, an oblong above-ground pool that was probably not more than four or four-and-a-half feet deep. When you're 12, that's pretty deep, but I don't recall being afraid in it. The Knaver girls were relatively generous with their pool and would invite the rest of the neighbor girls to swim, although they learned quickly how to use their pool to their advantage.

One day, after inviting Linda and Kitty who lived next door to swim, the meanest Knaver girl told me I wasn't allowed because her mother didn't like my mother and didn't want me in her yard. That made no sense to me because our mothers had never interacted. There was that one time the same girl, who was sort of chubby, called me "fat" at the bus stop and made fun of the baggy pants my mother had made for me. I wasn't close to being chubby, but I had gained a few pounds the winter before after breaking my arm. I spent a good bit of the winter in a cast and eating Chips Ahoy in front of Gilligan's Island. Well, my mother said next time the girl made fun of my pants, I should reply, "Well, they wouldn't be baggy if YOU were wearing them." I never had the nerve to say that, though, so I don't think that was the problem.

In retaliation for the Knaver girls' manipulation, or maybe just out of sheer mischievousness, the rest of us would wait until they were out of town, then stand in their front yard where their crab apple trees dropped the duds and hurl crab apples over the roof into the backyard. You would throw the rotting apples and wait for the splash, and then you knew you had done it right. Then you would run off and giggle as you imagined the Knavers returning home to a pool full of bobbing apples.

Anyway, back to swimming. We all spent many summer afternoons in that shady pool, with the rest of the girls swimming and me just paddling around with floaties or just floating on my own. They would try to teach me to swim, but I was too afraid to put my face in the water. A sister of mine once suggested the fear might be a form of claustrophobia, which makes sense at this age, but isn't childhood a little early to develop that kind of neurosis?

By the time I learned to swim, as described in the column, we had all outgrown the Knavers' pool, and maybe they had taken it down by then anyway. Who knows. Either way, I now know how to swim, and I am now no longer afraid of the deep end, even when standing on the diving board to take a picture of the drain at the bottom.

OK, maybe I'm still a little afraid. I'm not quite ready to dive in.

Comments

dive said…
Oooooh, that photo is temptation itself, Robyn.
Another wonderful newspaper piece. So nice and refreshing to see positive comments from your readers. Whether they got the underlying message is another matter.
Enjoy your pool while the warm weather lasts.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.