Skip to main content

The Weird Sisters and High School Friends

I am a part of a small group of women who meets once a week for cocktails, a specialty of our host, and snacks and talking. We sit around the table in the dark on the deck, and we speak openly about whatever comes to mind, with the understanding that what’s said at that table does not leave that table. So, you will never hear me spill on my sisters.

“Sisters” is a good term for the four of us. A friend of mine, a man who hasn’t attended one of these cocktail hours, called us the Weird Sisters after Shakespeares’s three witches in MacBeth, or maybe after the Wyrd Sisters in the Terry Pratchett Discworld series. Either way, we’ve taken on the name, and the Weird Sisters are a weekly event.

The other evening, I was telling the others about how I was always one of the boys in high school. I didn’t have a lot of friends in my teenage years, but I seemed to have friends who were boys, although not necessarily boy friends. Even if I were dating a specific boy, I still spent time with boys who were friends.

A specific event came to mind to demonstrate for them—I was at home with my parents one evening when I was about 15, and I was getting ready for bed when a car drove down my street and honked at the mailbox. And then boys shouted, “Hey, Wells!” which is what they called me, Wells being my maiden name. Boys do that to girls who they see as one of them, I think. It was my understanding that if they liked a girl as a potential date, they would address her by her first name, and gently. But for me, it was “Hey, Wells!” Sigh.

I hadn’t changed into my jammies yet, so I ran out to the mailbox in the dark because I knew who was causing a disturbance in the otherwise quiet neighborhood, three friends from marching band. They were all funny and nice and decent kids who meant no harm by honking and yelling late at night. They were just out for a drive and thought they’d stop by. It didn’t occur to them to park in the driveway and respectfully knock on the door, greet my parents and see if I could talk for a few minutes.

They parked the car right in the street, and we sat on the hood and laughed and talked and laughed some more, sort of like the Weird Sisters. The whole time, my father kept peering out through his bedroom window, thoroughly disgusted with his daughter’s behavior. The notion that one of his own would just go trotting out to the street in the dark just because some boys stopped by. And three of them. Three of them, mind you, and all up to no good.

I have such clear memories of that evening because it struck my father as exceptionally inappropriate, and I heard about it until the next day at dinner when I had to hear about it all over again. Three of them! And they just honked and stood right out there in the middle of the street, with you laughing and carrying on for all the neighbors to see! Don’t you care what the neighbors think of you?! You better care! I’ll give you something to care about!

Well, as chance would have it, one of those boys, now full-grown, is a new Facebook friend of mine, and I’ve learned he occasionally reads my humble blog. I wonder if he remembers that evening, although I doubt it. His father didn’t give him the what for afterward.

Comments

savannah said…
i LOVE this story, sugar! good on you and now, good on the weird sisters!!xoxoxo
dive said…
Oh, you wanton strumpet! Talking with boys? In the street? What dreadful debauchery!
Little wonder you ended up cackling around the cocktail cauldron.
Hee hee. Keep up the bad behaviour, Robyn.
Robyn Martins said…
Savannah, isn't it odd how some little moment from more than 30 years ago and creep back in your head and take over for a little while?

Dive, "wanton strumpet" is a beautiful and poetic phrase. It's a pity it doesn't mean something else so I could use it openly.
dive said…
Tis indeed a shame, Robyn. Though the mental picture of you striding into orchestra rehearsal wearing a teeshirt with WANTON STRUMPET blazoned across the front is one to treasure.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...