Skip to main content

Book Review—Every Last One

I have just finished reading Anna Quindlen’s Every Last One, and this may prove to be one of those novels that haunts me from here on out. You know, there are some stories that stay with you for a week or so until you begin reading something else, and there are others that embed themselves in some neuron in your brain, and you relive their plot lines or remember the most memorable scenes years after turning the last page.

For me, Cold Mountain is like that, and The Grapes of Wrath, A Time To Kill and Slaughterhouse Five. There are others, I’m sure, but those are the top picks at the moment—maybe some of my neurons are sluggish today.

And now Every Last One can take its rightful place in my internal library.

I read the book on the recommendation of my sister-in-law, who said that just when I would feel like giving up on the thing, something shocking would happen. Boy, was she right. My little paperback copy has 300 pages of actual story (never mind the reading notes—you shouldn’t need notes to read a novel, I say), and I was well into the first 100 pages when I was yawning. Turning the page and reading and turning the next one and saying all right already.

I would have given up had it not been for the promise of some climactic moment that would assure I’d not want to put the book down. And then, on page 108, it happened. I won’t tell you what, exactly, although as the story builds, you’ll probably guess on some level. It was at that moment that I understood the structure of this remarkable story.

100-plus pages of seemingly benign character descriptions, with details of everyday dialogue and descriptions of everyday activities, might seem excessive, but this story needs you to be invested in the characters, to feel as if you really know them and would miss them if they were gone. Had the pivotal action happened on page 25, you wouldn’t care so much. You would wonder about the legal ramifications or expect a televised trial or some form of justice, but you wouldn’t feel any real emotion beyond curiosity.

But because Quindlen was allowed to indulge in her character development, you are likely to react audibly when bad things happen to these people you’ve come to know. At least, that’s what I did. I reacted out loud and set the book down and stood up from my reading chair. “Holy……!” And then I quickly sat down again and went right back to reading to find out what happened next.

Good for Quindlen for weaving a story that makes one person care about another, even if that other person is fictional. I firmly believe no character is truly fictional because he or she is always based on someone actually living, or the reader can connect with the character as someone remarkably real.

And good for Quindlen’s agent and editor, whoever they may be, for allowing her to write a book that doesn’t grab the reader with action on page 1. I would love to have heard their earliest discussions on the manuscript, and I believe Quindlen wouldn’t have gotten far if she had not already been known as a successful author. Agents typically ask for just the first 30 pages of a book or even just a query letter with no actual text at all. How can you possibly know if a book is worth the trouble based solely on a query letter?

Imagine an agent receiving 30 pages of blabbity blabbity and thinking, “hey, this story is gripping. Sign her up.” Let this book, now firmly placed on my mental bookshelf, be a lesson to impatient agents and publishers. Sometimes a story needs time to build.

Comments

dive said…
Thirty pages of blabbity blabbity sounds just fine to me, Robyn. This must be quite a book to have affected you like that.
And talking of novels that are beautifully written yet slow-burning to start with, I trust that you've now sent Maryann off to Anna Quindlen's publishers? Somebody better get a hold of that book soon as I am itching for my own copy.
Robyn Martins said…
SPOILER: Dive, I think this book effected me because it's well written, but it effected me greatly because I have children and have imagined my world without them. It's a feeling I can't put words to and can't do more than inch toward on tip toe and then run away from as fast as possible. The main character was forced into that place with no way out.
dive said…
So was Maryann. You have to admit that her dilemma was pretty earth-shattering. Maybe not as extreme as in this book, but extreme is not always good. Keep collecting those rejection slips like JK Rowling used to and one day a publisher will actually come to his or her senses.
Robyn Martins said…
Affected with an A. I know that, I just had a lapse. Maryann will receive another rejection this week. I promise.
Lots of Good information in your post, I favorited your blog post so I can visit again in the future, Thanks.

Hi nice Post written by you guys. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site. Thank a ton for such a nice post.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...