Skip to main content

What Should I Be Doing Today?

Sooooo…my mother is visiting for two weeks. The other day, I asked local Facebook friends for suggestions for things we could do to amuse ourselves, and people gave me all kinds of nice ideas. The thing is, none of them seems to be appropriate at this point.

Small Town has an outdoor amphitheater with a production of a local-history drama—Indians and massacres and what have you—but the show doesn't start until 8:30 at night, and my mother’s bedtime seems to be 9:30ish. Wooster, Ohio has nice shops and cafes, but it’s a drive, and a return trip would interfere with nap time. Roscoe Village requires lots of walking, and that just won’t do.

So, we twiddle our thumbs a little bit, and maybe that’s OK. We’ve made cupcakes and sat outside when the weather allows and had lunch by the pool. We’ve talked and reminisced and pet the cat. Who says we need to stay busy at all times or always need to be about a task?

The thing is this: my mother, at 85, has slipped into a level of dementia, and it’s a mystery. At moments, she seems very lucid and on top of her surroundings. And moments later, she sits on the edge of her seat, looks lost and asks, “What should I be doing today?” She wanders the house looking in random cabinets for unknown things. She puts events together to form new events, telling stories about things that never happened and getting offended about conversations that never took place.

To some extent, we all live within our own heads, but when our heads turn on us and detach from what goes on outside them, living day to day gets tricky. If you’re half alert, wouldn’t you question everything you think you see and hear? Wouldn’t you wonder if what you believe is actually fiction you’ve created and then doubt and second-guess and become absolutely paranoid?

My mother has always been paranoid and full of self pity and bitterness. It would be a nice gift if dementia would relieve her of those cankers, but sometimes what goes on in her traitorous head seems to exacerbate them, and that's not gift at all. It's a dirty trick.

Yesterday I came to a realization—if my genes have any say in the matter, I have about 35 years before my own head turns tale and runs. That’s the blink of an eye, or it’s a life time, depending on how you see it. At the moment, I’d like to think I have a life time left to do brilliant things with breaks to pet the cat and have lunch. What should I be doing today?

Comments

dive said…
Today, you should be relaxing with your Mother and enjoying every second of your time together, whatever her dementia might throw your way.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

What the Heck is That?

I like to cook, although the day-to-day chore of planning an evening meal and preparing it can be a drudgery, day after day after day after day. Still, even though I feel used up sometimes and wish I never had to cook another dinner, I like the general idea of cooking. I get excited at the prospect of cracking open a new cookbook, and proper markets with interesting ingredients from outside the county circle make me want to break out the wooden spoons and strap on my monogrammed apron. I take certain things for granted--simple ingredients that I buy in jars like cinnamon and capers--and I don't stop to think about what the heck they are. What is a caper, anyway? So, I did a little digging, and here is what I found about certain spices that don't come from the ground in glass containers. Capers: these are the buds of a perennial shrub that is native to the Mediterranean. They are picked ripe and then pickled in a brine or salted and sold by size--the smaller the better. Sometim...

My New Sweater

I spent over a week and a half exploring two incredible cities, Paris and London. Once back home, I suffered through 95-degree days with 99% humidity, day after day after day. And what did I do through it all? I knitted a sweater. While on vacation, I found I had a few hours to myself every morning because I am an early riser, and the others in the family tend to sleep in. So, I knitted. When the weather is unsuitable for man and cat, I tend to stay inside, so I knitted. It took me two weeks to finish this simple pattern of stockinette stitching using Noro Kureyon, a Japanese silk yarn, and US8 needles. Imagine what I could make on a trip around the world or if I lived in Florida in August.