Skip to main content

Yard Sale Done

I've never had a garage sale or yard sale before, and now I see why. They are a heck of a lot of work!

Last week, I flew to Atlanta to help my family with a sale—my mother moved in with my sister, and the house she left behind, which has been sold, was filled with stuff. Earlier in the year, we had cleared out the house itself and moved everything to the garage/basement (the house is built on a hill), so we gathered again to organize and open the big doors and take the cash.

On Thursday, Karen and I worked like pack mules to sort the stuff. After months in that musty room, everything seemed to take on a layer of grime and dust, so we aired it all out and put things with things. You know, like picking up an aluminum pan and walking over to set it down with all of the other aluminum pans and finding a box of glassware and hauling it over to the table with all of the other glassware.

We had a section for silk flowers, one for kitchen pans, sewing patterns all the way back to 1948, knick knacks, clothes and shoes and purses, Christmas decorations, tablecloths, curtains, curtain rods, games and puzzles, pictures, decorative plates, sets of dishes, serving bowls, empty picture frames of various sizes, and furniture. Then there was a wall of shelves filled with appliances, and then there was a day bed stacked with linens, and then there were nasty looking boxes filled with nails and gunk for $5 each (they sold!). I could go on. By the end of that day, everything was sorted and displayed and priced. And then we collapsed into a sweaty heap.

We opened the door the next day for Day 1 with our mother assisting, and despite the threat of rain, we did all right in selling things. Later that evening, the rest of the sisters arrived so that, on Saturday, we had a combination family reunion/estate sale that was sort of festive. That atmosphere was just right because our mother was grieving over the loss of her things. I think she handled the experience with dignified grace, but it wasn't easy.

Here is the living room vignette we set up in the driveway to convince yard-salers they needed this scene in their houses. We sold almost everything in this scene.

Here are some of the prints that my mother had collected over the years—we sold just a few of these:

And here are some of the silk flower arrangements—we had others because Karen is a floral designer and had product to unload. People really loved them:

At the end of the day, we closed those big garage doors, said good bye to it all and walked away. What else could you do? A guy with a thrift store at his church will take what was left. As for me, Husband and I took the one item we had requested, my grandmother's china cabinet that we have admired for years. Here's what it looks like in my dining room. I'll treasure it until the day my kids open up my garage and sell off my stuff. That's a long way away, I think.

Comments

dive said…
Wow, you really did put in a lot of work, Robyn. I'm glad the sale went so well.
The china cabinet is gorgeous.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.