Skip to main content

Watching from the Sidelines With or Without Words

Last night, my orchestra performed its final concert of the season, its 75th season, in fact. But I didn't play. I sat in the audience, and for those couple of hours, I felt as though I weren't watching my orchestra. I wasn't sitting in my usual seat on stage and hadn't practiced the music or attended the rehearsals, so I could claim no ownership. I have to say, I didn't appreciate that one bit, and I'll admit knowing my replacement for the evening is a better horn player didn't help ease my uneasiness.

But I did appreciate the performance. My group or not, they performed very well, so much so that they received a standing ovation. A word about those—you can never tell when an audience is going to be moved to stand with their applause. I thought the previous concert was just as moving, just as well done and just as deserving of an ovation, but only a handful of people agreed.

This was a gospel-meets-symphony concert, with a church choir from Akron and a group called Divine Hope performing original songs. Their musical director had written them, and Conductor Eric had arranged them for orchestra. Small Town and its surrounding county is pretty white bread, but they welcomed this African-American group and loved what they brought to our hall.

My father once told me that music without words doesn't mean anything. He was irritated because I chose to listen to an album of piano playing when he wanted me to cue up an album of hymns. No thank you. The piano album suited me just fine and put me in a state of being I wasn't willing to forgo, and I rejected his ridiculous notion. Last night, I thought about him as the choir and guest group sang words with specific meaning because I knew there were people performing on that stage for which that meaning holds no sway. They were playing music for the beauty and energy it offered—it was well written and well orchestrated and could speak to them on those terms. And when the orchestra performed the second movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony, wordless, the music was just as meaningful as the gospel tune that followed.

Last week, Daughter No. 1 was studying for her Arabic final, and we were listening to You Tube samples of people speaking and singing the language. We both narrowed in on a recording of a young boy singing a passage from the Qur'an and listened to it several times. The words and the meaning behind them meant nothing to us, but the simplistic beauty of the presentation spoke loudly.

Words with music can mean something, but sometimes the words aren't the thing. The musicality is the thing. And you can appreciate a solid performance of gospel music or Islamic music when performed with sincerity, even if the lyrics and the style in which they are presented are not part of your tradition.

Here is the video of the boy singing the Qur'an. Listen to it and see if it doesn't speak to you:

Comments

dive said…
What a beautiful reading, Robyn. My Qur'an sounds nothing like as graceful in translation.
Boy howdy … music with or without words. What a subject. I'd reply only it would take me weeks, but then you know my tastes pretty well anyway.
Get back to work on that horn and reclaim your rightful place in the orchestra.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.