Skip to main content

It'll Rot Your Brain!

In doing research for a newspaper column, I came across the television lineup for the major networks between the years 1970 and 1976. Keep in mind there were only three major networks and very few minor networks at the time. In Chicagoland, we had NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS and WGN.

I spent most of my time watching WGN because it was the source for movies and cartoons. This is what I had always believed, at least, because when I came home from school every afternoon, this is the channel I flipped to. Gillian's Island, The Flintstones. The Mickey Mouse Club with Annette Funicello. But after I looked at the lineup of evening shows, and as I responded so enthusiastically to it—"Oh, my gosh! I remember that show! I loved that!"—I realized I must have spent most of my waking hours in front of the television, one with just a handful of stations and a channel-changing knob on the side. You actually had to get up off the couch and make physical contact with the TV.

Now that I think about it, my parents were the culprits. They would be tired after a full day's work and just want to plop down in front of the tube after dinner and not get up again until the nightly news at 10:00 (central time). An evening didn't go buy that we weren't planted in that little TV room, we called it, staring blankly at the flickering screen. It's a wonder any of us amounted to anything at all or that we even learned to read.

In no particular order, here is a list of the shows we watched on a regular basis.

Laugh—In, Love American Style, Bonanza, The Carol Burnett Show, The Walton, Flip Wilson, Dean Martin, The Brady Bunch, The Partidge Family, Room 222, The Odd Couple, The Sonny & Cher Show, Sanford & Son, Chico and the Man, Alias Smith & Jones, The Streets of San Francisco, All In the Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda, Phyllis, Bob Newhart, MASH, Night Gallery, Wonderful World of Disney, McCloud, Columbo, Kung Fu, Nanny and the Professor, Marcus Welby MD, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, That Girl, High Chapparal, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Little House On the Prairie, Rockford Files, Hawaii Five-O, My Three Sons, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Hogan's Heroes, Barretta, Welcome Back Kotter, Starsky and Hutch, Barney Miller, Ellery Queen, Kojak, Charlie's Angels

In my house, the TV is rarely on during the day unless I have absolutely nothing to do and feel like watching a little Turner Classic Movies action. We watch CNN in the morning and a little during dinner, but then I don't come back to any of it until around 8:00 when the kitchen has been cleaned and the book has been read.

We have a few shows we watch regularly—House, Dexter, The Borgias, Weeds, The Big C, Nurse Jackie, The Middle, Modern Family. But otherwise, if we're watching TV, we're watching a rented movie or old episodes of West Wing. And lately, we've been watching Band of Brothers, which has become my new favorite thing to watch. You don't just sit and take it in. You absorb it and think about it later when you're supposed to be doing other things. And you most definitely hum the music.

So, TV will rot your brain, and I watched so much of it as a kid, apparently, I must not be operating on all cylinders. Watch it in moderation, though, and it's not so bad. I'm sorry my parents didn't follow that rule years ago. Laugh-In, for goodness sake!

Comments

Shan said…
I think you turned out alright because Hee Haw wasn't on that list. Oh heavens! I hated that show. As a youngling I was totally devoted to The Captain and Tenille (sp?) and The Donny and Marie shows. I always watched tv tv and more tv after school it seemed. My parents wouldn't let me watch Soap and that made me think it must be horribly dirty. Yep, it kinda was for my level of innocence. ;)
Nowadays the hubby and I watch some series on Netflix that we never caught when they first began. 30 Rock comes to mind as one of my faves. I mostly watch the dancing shows now on primetime but I do love that evening fixation! My brain also DOES feel a little bit rotten, but of course that may be from the Nutrasweet.
Shan said…
I just realized you listed Weeds. I was embarrassed to name that one but IT IS ALSO A FAVE! :D J thinks Dexter will depress us with the foster kid/serial killer link so I'm going to leave that one alone though I AM curious.
dive said…
Wow! What a tellyfest! I'm suddenly very glad I didn't have a TV for most of my life, Robyn. Even now I am a "good book and BBC Radio 3" man.
I do, however, remember seeing Laugh-in when I was a kid. Some strange people must have imported it for us. It skewed my view of Americans for decades. Come to think of it, it probably still does.

One thing I find terribly depressing is to visit somebody's house and find their main room has no books in it and the furniture is arranged around an enormous TV. I despair for the next generation.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.