Skip to main content

In Berkeley For One More Day

I'll be leaving for home tomorrow morning, and here I sit with a full Berkeley day ahead of me. What should one do on such a day, you might ask, with the sun shining and the sky as blue as the bluest sky? Why, sit in the chair and write blabber on a blog, of course.

No, actually, I'll be going out in about an hour to have lunch with No. 1, and since I'll be wearing my walking shoes, who knows where I'll end up. Probably right back here, but you just can't tell. The child will be on campus until late this evening, so the door is wide open.

There are certain things one should do when visiting this part of California—you should visit Telegraph Hill, eat your way through the Gourmet Ghetto, wander the streets of San Francisco and have sour dough bread, visit Alcatraz, spend a few days in Sonoma/Nappa. Well, I have done all of those things, more than once, even, so I don't have an urge to go sight seeing as if I'll never be back again to see the sights. I really just don't mind hanging around.

I have cooked and cleaned. I have worked on a project yet to be revealed to Blogville. I have sort of packed. I have painted a watercolor for No. 1's bathroom wall. I have knitted. So today, I'm OK with just sitting and maybe twirling around in the hammock chair on the balcony, thinking thoughts and dreaming dreams.

While I'm busy doing that, here are a few interesting shots of Berkeley.

A bike rack thoughtfully covered in yarn:

Some writing in the sidewalk:


Some writing ON the sidewalk just around the corner from a lovely yarn shop called A Verb For Keeping Warm:

A very bold and hungry bird:

The salted caramel cupcakes we made for Mother's Day:



Update: In case you were wondering if all I did was sit around inside all day, I didn't. No. 1 called from campus when she was finished with a study thing, and I walked down town to meet her for lunch—great veggie burgers. Then I went with her to buy candy for her students because people need Snickers when they are taking a big hairy chemistry final, and then I went to a coffee shop while she went back to her office. I sat there with my book and iced coffee while being surrounded by Berkeley students all studying for finals, and it was a little weird but interesting. Then I walked all over campus and met No. 1 for a relaxing chat outside the chemistry. And now back home with the cat. It's a lovely day, and I saw some of it.

Comments

Madame DeFarge said…
I love the bike rack covered in yarn. Marvellous stuff.
dive said…
So glad you got out and about, Robyn. That yarn-covered bike rack truly is awesome.
Have a safe trip home.
savannah said…
the MITM and i have been discussing the possibility of maybe, perhaps, at some point, moving back to cali...xoxoxox
dive said…
Fewer hurricanes; more earthquakes. Tricky decision, Savannah.

Welcome home, Robyn! Hope you're not too jet-lagged.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.