Skip to main content

Something Light for Dinner

The other night, I was headed to the store for a few groceries, just enough for that evening, and I asked Husband what he'd like for dinner. Something light, was his response, so I drove off with ideas running through my head of what might constitute something light for an evening meal. When you make a meal you consider "something light," what do you choose?

I thought of shrimp with a light sauce or grilled chicken breast with a side salad, but Husband isn't wild about shrimp and chicken. Then I thought of something made with eggs like a frittata, but he doesn't like those either, and I was struggling with the possibilities. By the time I got to the store, I had a plan, though—tomato bisque and grilled cheese.

I already had brie and prosciutto for the sandwiches, so I picked up a small loaf of French bread—fake French, that is, because everything from the bakery department of this store tastes like Wonder Bread and has about the same texture—a large can of crushed tomatoes, and I was set.

A couple of years ago, I found a recipe for tomato bisque online and printed it out, and I have kept this now ratty piece of paper in a stack of similarly ratty pieces of paper wedged in with my cookbooks, but I couldn't find it when I needed it, of course. So, I found another one online that looked familiar and set out to make a few modifications. I didn't want to bother with carrots, and I only wanted to use four cups of broth instead of five, for example. I also didn't want to run the soup through a blender, so I skipped that step, too. I suppose you could argue I then did not make a true bisque because I didn't puree the vegetables, but my version of the soup turned out to be just great whatever you call it, and served with grilled cheese, it made for a light meal.

Let me say here that I know grilled cheese can be heavy, but the versions I make aren't like the grilled cheese of my childhood, or yours, for that matter. I bought a panini grill that crisps the bread just beautifully (don't judge by this photo), and I brush the bread with olive oil before grilling. A thin layer of prosciutto and a bit of brie makes a fine sandwich.

Here is the recipe after my slight modifications:

Tomato "Bisque"

4 tablespoons butter
2 strips bacon, chopped
1 cup onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon tomato paste (which I added for richness. Be generous—this measurement is just a guess)
1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream

In a large pot, melt butter and cook bacon until crispy. With a slotted spoon, removed bacon and drain on paper towel. Add onion, celery and garlic to the pot and cook on medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes or until soft. Stir in flour, seasonings and tomato paste and cook 2 to 3 minutes.

Add tomatoes and broth and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and whisk in heavy cream. Add salt and pepper according to taste. Garnish with cooked bacon.

Comments

dive said…
Yummy!
savannah said…
i am so going to make this for supper today! i have a le creuset panini press and skillet grill that makes the absolute best sandwiches. i thank you and so does the MITM! xoxoxox
Shan said…
Man, I am hungry. Most days (aside from the dreaded seafood ones-haha), I'd rather be eating at your house! You make the yummiest things!

(Sorry I've been MIA, lately.)

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...