Skip to main content

A Quick Scarf—Hand Painted

Here is my latest knitting project. Want to know how it came about? Well, last week, No. 1 and I ventured out in a torrential downpour to visit a yarn shop she likes. Neither of us was looking for anything in particular, but you don't need to walk into a yarn shop with a project in mind, do you? You just need to want to look at absolutely every ball and skein and flip through every pattern available. It could take hours, if you do it right.

We went our separate ways in the small but well-done shop, and decided I must have a project. I found a small book of patterns, all quick projects you could complete in a weekend of diligent knitting. We had planned on knitting for days anyway, so I knew this was the book for me. The problem was, I only liked one pattern, a lacy scarf that required less than 300 yards of a sport weight yarn. I chose a muted blue hand-painted yarn by Freia. Two balls of the 100% wool would be plenty for the scarf—$10.25 a piece. But still, what to do about spending $20 on a book I would use just once? No. 1 had the solution—the pattern was probably available at Ravelry, so I put the book back on the rack.

We each bought some yarn, grabbed our umbrellas and braved the soaking rain back to the car. Once safe and dry back home, I discovered the exact same lacy scarf pattern on line for just under $7. It's called Scroll Lace Scarf by Ysolda Teague.

So, to work. With size 9 circular needles, I went about knitting the scarf, learning a few new tricks along the way. I learned how to do a provisional cast on and was reminded of how to work in short rows. And I learned how to do cable cast ons in order to create an interesting bound edge. When No. 1 was available, I asked her for help, but when she wasn't, I found some great how-to tips on You Tube.

Because I was working with sport weight, and No. 1 was working with fingering weight, my project went much faster, and I actually finished it before leaving town to come back home. I blocked it here and now have a scarf I love. I wouldn't mind making this scarf again, but I have found another pattern at Cocoknits, which I'll make using a skein of handspun, handyed yarn I bought at another shop last week. I'll save that story for another day, though, once the project is complete.

Here is the finished scarf as it looks draped:

Comments

dive said…
Spiffy!
It looks kinda like a fish when it's laid there on the table but I must confess it looks great when you're wearing it.
Bring on the next project!
Robyn Martins said…
A fish, you say?
dive said…
A fish, I say.
Kinda cod-shaped; head at the left end, tail at the right.
Okay, so I've just had a cataract operation and that might be affecting me more than the doctors let on.
PF said…
Very nice!! Love it :)

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...