Skip to main content

Lemon Icebox Pie...um, Variation

This is what's left of the pie I baked using Martha Foose's Lemon Icebox Pie recipe found in Screen Doors and Sweet Tea. I found the recipe while reading a persuasive article by Francis Lam at Salon, and I bought the book soon after.

If the author of this book and creator of the recipe were to see my photo here, she'd say, "Why honey, bless your heart." If you're southern, you understand the tone and the sentiment of such a statement. It means, "You poor thing. You really did try hard, didn't you. It's OK. You'll do better next time, but we won't tell you that you've failed because we don't want to hurt your feelings."

There is a world of meaning in the phrase "bless your heart." Here's why I, and my pie, deserve it.

I was so eager to bake this pie because I haven't had one like it in years. It was like something brand new to me, even though I've baked similar pies many times. And I love lemon. I set out all of the ingredients in the order in which I would need them. I made the crust as instructed and put in the oven, and while it baked, I mixed the remaining ingredients in a big, plastic bowl. As instructed, I poured the filling into the crust and wondered why I had so much left over. I quickly determined my pie plate was not deep enough to hold it all, and I would simply have to pour the leftover stuff down the disposal. A more think-on-your-feet kind of person would have saved it and made another pie, but not me. Down it went.

As I went back to the recipe to confirm the baking time, I discovered my error. If you notice in my previous paragraph, I mixed "the remaining ingredients," when in actuality, I was not to mix the two cups of heavy cream with all the rest. You're supposed to whip that separately, and after the pie has cooled, you top it with the whipped cream and chill for an hour.

Well, what to do. I decided such a pie would not bake in 10 minutes and would need longer to set, so I doubled the baking time. That seemed to do the trick as far as creating proper consistency, but what about the flavor? And what about adding an additional pile of whipped cream to a pie that was already ridiculously rich? To heck with it, I decided, and left it as is.

As you can see, we ate the thing anyway. It had plenty of flavor, I think, and the consistency was firm enough to make each piece look like a slice of pie, instead of a pile of pudding, which is what I was afraid of.

The lesson here is to not let your enthusiasm get in the way of the task at hand, and if I bake this pie again, I'll be sure to follow the instructions to the letter.

Comments

dive said…
I'm amazed you actually had a slice left over, Robyn. It looks delicious!

You know full well you did not get her recipe wrong; you got YOUR recipe right! Variety is the spice of life so variation is a good thing.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...